Files lost in storage, unviewable in zotero library

I had zotero information on two different computers. I tried to copy library #1, and merge it with the other via USB.

The result : the files on library #2 no longer show up in the general zotero screen.

The files still exist in the storage folder, and I can cite them via the word add-in program, but I cannot see them in the general, now merged, library.

I tried to import the files, which didn't work, and I also did the classic "move storage and sqlite onto the desktop and then copy them back into the data directory."

Much appreciation for anyone who can help! I would prefer not to re-enter each tidbit of information for all those files...
  • I'm not clear on how you tried to "merge" libraries via USB - I don't believe that's possible. What exactly did you do?
  • I accessed the zotero information of one library by going through the data directory. I copied all of the information in the data directory (including all folders, sqlite, etc.) and transferred it onto a usb drive.

I then took that drive, plugged it into the second computer, and copied all of the files from the USB drive onto the data directory of the second computer. The computer automatically merged the two directories, and in so doing, overwrote certain files.

I therefore lost the sqlite information that allowed the files on my second computer to show up in my library on that second computer.

I didn't, though, lose the files entirely, because they are still in the storage folder, with their own individual sqlite files that do not link to the main one which programs notes into the zotero library that allows me (a non-tech person) to edit them.

I'd like to know how to get those folders/information merged into the general library so that I can access it.

I realized that the information wasn't entirely lost when I automatically tried to cite one of the documents, not realizing it was those "lost" in the merger.

It's complicated, I know...
  • the easiest way to merge two libraries is to sync them. Is that not an option?
    You can't merge zotero.sqlite files, so what you're trying definitely won't work.
  • I agree that it didn't work. Unfortunately, it's already done - the old sqlite for my "newest" library (and the smaller of the two) is now overwritten.

I'd like to know how to transfer the mini sqlite information (found in each individual folder of the previous articles in storage) from the data directory onto the library where I can directly see it and edit it...
  • I would suggest that, before you proceed with any other modifications to your library, you make a backup of your entire Zotero data directory
    the old sqlite for my "newest" library (and the smaller of the two) is now overwritten
    You may still have a backup of your old sqlite file
    I'd like to know how to transfer the mini sqlite information (found in each individual folder of the previous articles in storage)
    Could you explain in more detail what you mean by the "mini sqlite information"?
  • Essentially, when I go into the individual data directory folders found under "storage", I can find the "lost" files, because those would be all the files modified/created before May 18, 2013.

If I click on the file-folder (one of them being ZQWD5DPV), I find 1. The pdf article I had attached, 2. a ".zotero-ft-cache" file and 3. a ".zotero-ft-info" file.

I've taken to calling them "mini sqlite" bites because they seem to contain information such as that found in sqlite (to my inexperienced eye, at least), but they do not link to the actual sqlite main database, which allows me (the non-programmer) to edit my files in the library.

I find it odd, though, that I CAN tag them when citing information in a Word Document.

Does that make more sense?
  • Those files have nothing to do with the sqlite database, so calling them "mini sqlite" files is confusing. They just contain cached information about the attached files. You can view these files in a text editor to see what they contain.

What you are attempting to do cannot be done. You should restore a backup before you did any of this and then sync the computers, as adamsmith suggests.
  • Thank you for the clarification.