Multiple Citation numbering unpredictable, wrong

When I use the multiple citation option, I often end up with a strange numbering. I would assume it should number them in order of date, but it doesn't... most of the time. For example I put in three citations at the beginning of the text, and it listed them as (2, 1, 3) instead of (1-3). #2 was the earliest date, but why didn't it give that one #1? In the multiple citation tool I selected them in order of date of publication. If I start over from scratch it does it in a different (and still wrong) order! I am using Science magazine format, but this was also happening with the Nature format. This is driving me CRAZY!! Otherwise I love Zotero.
  • The multiple citations feature organizes the citations in the order in which you place them. There are plans to allow you to more easily reorder the citations in the edit citation window but for the time being they should appear in the order you select them. To change the order you currently need to remove and refind them.
  • Thanks for your reply. However, this isn't the case. When I place 3 new citations together (ones that I have not previously used in the document), say A,B, and C in that order in the multiple citation dialog box, it numbers them 12,10, 11 respectively instead of 10,11,12. The citation in the text shows up in the "correct" order (12,10,11) given its assignment of numbers but this of course looks ridiculous. So why does it assign the numbers in that order? A and B are from 2006 and C is from 2007, so it's not chronological. Is it alphabetical? A and B have the same first author but different co-authors. C has a different first author.

Here is the extra strange thing... when I do a "Zotero refresh" it changes the assignment order to 10,11,12, but lists them in the text as (10,12,11) instead of (10-12)!! And it will alternate back and forth between these two modes upon successive refreshes.

Any help getting this figured out is much appreciated as I am trying to submit this paper to Science in the next few days. Thanks!
  • FYI, here are the citations as Zotero last numbered them. 10 = B, 11 = C, and 12 = A. I entered them in the order A,B,C in the selection tool, and they had not been used previously in the document.

10. Marchant, D.R. & Head III, J.W. Antarctic dry valleys: Microclimate zonation, variable geomorphic processes, and implications for assessing climate change on Mars. Icarus 192, 187-222 (2007).

11. Head, J.W. et al. Modification of the dichotomy boundary on Mars by Amazonian mid-latitude regional glaciation. Geophys. Res. Lett 33, 30–50 (2006).

12. Head, J.W. et al. Extensive valley glacier deposits in the northern mid-latitudes of Mars: Evidence for Late Amazonian obliquity-driven climate change. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 241, 663-671 (2006).
  • Any chance I can get some help on this?
  • I've noticed that there's a checkbox when I add multiple citations, something like "keep references sorted". If you turn that on, sometimes they get sorted alphabetically. If you don't want them in that order, turning that checkbox off might help? (crosses fingers)
  • Thanks, but I can't find such a checkbox. Is there a difference in the Mac and PC versions? I'm running it on a Mac.
  • Sorry on the PC it looks like this (red square around the little checkbox)

http://img368.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zotsia5.jpg
  • So long, Zotero! This problem is such a pain I have decided to return to EndNote, which I don't like but at least it orders things correctly and is predictable. I hope Zotero will continue to improve so that I can use it someday without having to edit many of the citations manually.
  • I don't use these numbered styles, but as a general point, they can be rather tricky to process. Consider, for example, that some styles want you to number the citations based on order of (first) occurence, while others want it by order of listing in a sorted bibliography. On top of that, you then need to deal with ordering and (potentially) collapsing the citations (e.g. transforming "10, 12, 11" to "10-12"). And, of course, all of this must not interfere with a larger meta goal: that one should still be able to convert to radically different styles (author-date, note, etc.) without having to edit the document.

But clearly there's some work to do here.
  • edited August 12, 2008
    jackholt: before you bolt, can you check a change I just committed to the Science style? In the version you've been using, there are no sorting rules for the citation. I presume this is why it's not sorted. I just added a rule that says to sort on the citation number. As a result, I expect your problem should be solved (notwithstanding a bug in Zotero).
  • Hey, I think it works now!! Tried a few cases, and it consistently puts them in the order that I select them. Thanks a lot, this is quite a relief. It seems you've kept me onboard!

One related question (Science style)... in the bibliography, the style puts the month as well as the year, but Science just wants the year, from what I can tell. Do I have to eliminate the months/days from the "Date" fields in all of the references, or is there a way to change what shows up? Year alone is selectable as a field in the multiple citation dialog box, but it's not a separate field in the reference section.
  • edited August 12, 2008
    Good to hear.

If you confirm your understanding of the Science guidelines, I can fix it in the style. Can you do that, perhaps with a link as well?

Note to Simon and/or Dan: I think that if a numeric style has the collapse set to true, it might be that you need to assume you need to sort the citation by its number? Otherwise, it seems not to make much sense.
  • Hmmm, they don't actually specify in their guidelines, but they do show one example that includes the month in addition to the year! I haven't seen that in actual print versions so maybe it's a recent change.

Something else I have noticed is that it appears your style lists first author plus "et al." for papers with five authors, whereas they want that done for *more* than five authors. http://www.sciencemag.org/about/authors/prep/res/refs.dtl

However, I already submitted the paper so if they take it I'll find out what whether there is anything they want to change in the reference format. I can then let you know if it's different than how you already have it set up. Thanks again!
  • You're right; et al fixed.
  • Great, thanks for all the help!
  • edited August 21, 2008
    I have a similar problem with both the jbc.csl and jbact.csl styles. They both won't collapse citations (so it remains "(2, 1, 3, 4)") in my Word document, although the preview panel of chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul does group citations together "(1-4)" if I select multiple items from my library and use either the jbc or the jbact style. Both styles do however contain "<option name="collapse" value="citation-number"/>" within the citation tag.

P.S. I found out that you first have to sort the citation according to the citation number before it can be collapsed, so I'm all good now.
  • This problem also exists with the National Library of Medicine style.
  • Just to add my voice to this issue.

I also observe inconsistent, erratic numbering for multiple citations. i.e.: (7, 14-17, 13).

At some point, it would be very nice to be able to add citations to a list of citations already in text and have them re-numbered correctly; as opposed, to re-entering from scratch.

This using the latest Science style, latest zotero (2.0b5), latest Firefox (3.0.11), using Word 2002 (SP2) on Win XP (SP2).
  • @delenca,

From the thread, it looks like Bruce offered to fix the Science style once someone confirmed the rule with a link or a quote from their guidelines, but that's not yet been posted. The right way to go about this would be to deal with publishers directly, of course, but we're not there yet.

If you post specific info on the requirement of the style, I'm sure someone will fix it up.
  • The problems haven't been solved yet. I use zotero 2.0b6.5, word 2003, windows xp home edition. After I modified the position of a citation, it shows [16-22,15]. Hope someone can fix it soon.
  • @weizhang: You need to indicate exactly which style you are referring to, so that someone can help.
  • I'm using the APS(American Physics Society) style.
  • @weizhang: I've done some checking, and this looks like a definite bug. It can be reproduced with the following steps.

(1) Open a fresh document.
    (2) Select a style that sorts citations (American Physics Society is one of these).
    (3) Insert a citation, make it multiple, and add three references to it.
    (4) Return to the document, and above the three-reference citation, insert a single citation to a fourth source.
    (5) Edit the original citation, and add a reference to the same source cited in (4).

This will result in a numbered citation [2-4,1], which is incorrect. Another anomaly is that, at step (5), the "keep source sorted" checkbox above the multiple citations is missing. From the source code, it looks like the checkbox appears when the processor finds sort keys on the citation. If the sort keys are being lost, that would cause both problems (failure of checkbox to appear, and failure of citation to sort). The checkbox issue has also been reported here.

This seems to be associated with the CSL processor, and should go away when the new processor (currently undergoing testing and integration) is deployed.
  • I've got the same problem with numbering.

I write my documents with an author-date style (like Harvard reference format 1). For publication, usually numbered styles are needed. But for expample when I switch to the Science style, numbering and collapsing is correct, but not necesserily the order of the numbers in the citation as mentioned above [37, 36] in stead of [36, 37].
    The solution is to edit this citation and uncheck and check again the "keep sorted" checkbox.
    As it is quite easy to resolve (but a pain to do it with every citation), maybe it is easy to integrate this resorting into the code?
  • I have fooled around the whole day with a similar (well known) problem: Multiple citations (Vancouver style) are not ordered correctly, in my case, by the order they are added. Instead alphabetically ordering according to the title appears, both in the citation and the bibliography if "Keep sources sorted" are ticked, alternatively only in the bibliography. Tested and retested csl-files using different combinations, to now avail. How to proceed -or give up?
  • Any chance that the APA style will be changed to allow for multiple references such as (Smith, 2009; Hare, 2010)? I manually change them to look like this, but then Zotero adds brackets again and it takes awhile to change them all back. Maybe it's just me...is there a simpler way to do this?
  • what do you mean? APA (and pretty much any other Zotero style) allows for multiple citations exactly in that way - use the multiple sources button in the word plugin.
  • Thank you Adam, I have been using it for awhile and obviously there is so much to learn. I have one other issue and if that is covered, then I am sold on Zotero for life. Do you know if there is also a way to insert a citation like this (without Zotero changing it back to standard format): Smith (2009) blah blah...
    I've been inserting the citation and then manually changing it to the example above.
    Thanks again for your help!
  • edited April 17, 2010
    Edit: Better yet, just read adamsmith's post below :)
    I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for (no brackets around the citation or just change the commas?). Anyway, you could look for a style that already does what you want.
    Zotero Style Repository
    If there isn't one, you can fairly easily edit a style to do just about anything you could reasonably want it to do.
    csl_simple_edits [Zotero Documentation]
  • sure. Use the supress author function in the plugin.

In your text, write "Smith bla bla bla" and then insert the citation between Smith and the first bla - if you use the supress author it will show as (2009) so that you get "Smith (2009) bla bla"