[citeproc bug] wrong disambiguation default

2»
  • @Adamsmith, i learned that I have to check the output carefully the hard way. but here is still a problem I can not solve.

lets say the name of the author in the zotero library is
    frangopol, D. M. with Frangopol as last name and D. M. as first name
    Or another record
    Frangopol as first name and Dan M as last name. regardless of which one I use it always gives me below citation in the word body. I do not know how to change/modify/fix my zotero library to get what the Emerald format ( lastname, year) produces. and somehow I do not have this problem with all other citations.

(D.M. Frangopol and K. Maute, 2003)
    (Dan M Frangopol and K. Maute, 2003)
    (Dan M Frangopol et al., 2004)

Frangopol, D.M., Kallen, M.-J. and Noortwijk, J.M. van. (2004), “Probabilistic models for life-cycle performance of deteriorating structures: review and future directions”, Progress in Structural Engineering and Materials, Vol. 6 No. 4, pp. 197–212.

Frangopol, D.M. and Maute, K. (2003), “Life-cycle reliability-based optimization of civil and aerospace structures”, Computers and Structures, Vol. 81 No. 7, pp. 397–410.

Frangopol, D.M. and Maute, K. (2003), “Life-cycle reliability-based optimization of civil and aerospace structures”, Computers & Structures, Vol. 81 No. 7, pp. 397–410.
  • Are "D.M. Frangopol" and "Dan M. Frangopol" the same person?
  • This very much looks like you have the same author entered in different ways which will produce this - he's one Dan M Frangopol and once D. M. Frangopol. Zotero tries to disambiguate the different citations by adding his first name. He should be Dan M Frangopol in every Zotero entry.

(This wouldn't quite explain the 2004 cite, but let's see what happens if you fix that up).
  • edited May 7, 2013
    @contromir you wrote:
    Or another record Frangopol as first name and Dan M as last name.
    If that reversed name order is in your database you can quickly correct it by right clicking within the author's first or last name and select "Swap first/last names".

You may also want to confirm that the author is not entered in a single field. Unless an author only has one name s/he should always be entered in two-field mode.
  • I keep his name in two field. first name and last name. I changed all his first names in all records to
    Frangopo, Dan M but still the same except I get a and b although those two references are exactly the same except being collected from different search engines.

(Dan M Frangopol and Kurt Maute, 2003a)
    (Dan M Frangopol and Kurt Maute, 2003b)

so then I deleted one of them and still the same.

I changed the first name to Dan M. still the same.

(Dan M. Frangopol and Kurt Maute, 2003)

-- but I transferred the same library to mendeley. and mendeley export it correctly to the document.

(Frangopol and Maute, 2003)

so I think it is more on style side. but this happens only for this and couple of other citations.
  • I still cannot replicate that.
    This is the latest version of the style
    Emerald journals (Harvard) from the repository?
    Could you select those two items in Zotero, right-click --> Export Items --> ZOtero RDF (no notes or files)
    Open the exported file - by default Exported Items.rdf - in any text editor (notepad, TextEdit), copy the entire content and paste to
    http://pastebin.com/
    submit and provide the URL here.
  • http://pastebin.com/jnWjk3gA
  • Could this record be duplicated in your Zotero library and each of the duplicate records was cited once?
  • Those come out right for me.
    (Frangopol et al., 2004; Frangopol and Maute, 2003)
    Have you tried just those citations in a fresh document?

If they work correctly in an empty document, this is caused by something else, e.g. along the lines of what DWL suggests.
  • I do not have duplicated item in my library. However, I tested in a fresh new document and came out right! now I am even more curious and confused. I am citing this paper multiple times in my paper though. and once along couple of other citations.

when i try to add another cite to this work in the paper, it offers me 2 cited work with exact same data. and one other work from library. when I pick the one from library it adds an (a) to the reference.
    in both cases it brings first name. this is consistent with couple of other references. none of this is the case when I do it in fresh document. but as you see, i can not start over. or maybe i have to?
  • when i try to add another cite to this work in the paper, it offers me 2 cited work with exact same data.
    that really does sound like a duplicate - how are you sure it's not?
  • Before you begin, you should have a backup of the document you are working on.

First, as DWL-SDCA hints, make sure you don't actually have any duplicate citations in your library using Zotero's duplicate detection and merging tool

If this doesn't fix the issue, you can try removing all Frangopol references from your document (print the document before hand or mark the places where the references should be re-inserted) and then re-insert them. Pay attention to the first reference that you re-insert. If you completely removed all references, there is no way the first reference would include first names. If you do get first names, then you may have some hidden (broken) reference in your document. You should be able to see them by turning on field codes (alt+F9 in Word). Search for Frangopol with the field codes showing.
  • cause I have only one in my library. but when I try to cite to it zotero offers me 3 items. 2 from "cited works" and one from "library"

by the way, I am not sure if it is related but sometimes zotero.exe gives me this error.

" you have modified this citation since zotero generated it. do you want to keep your modification and prevent future updates?

clicking .....
    "

I think it comes from that fact that I changed some of my references in the text by hand(to fix it). and when I refresh the citations it asks me about all of them on by one again.
  • yeah, then Aurimas's advice applies.
    Somehow you managed to insert a second copy of that item into the document. My best guess would he that you had it twice in your library and since deleted it. Since ZOtero stores item data in the document it would have stayed there.

The error message is exactly what you say it is - it should give you two options, you should pick the one you want depending on if you may need to change the citation style in the future.
  • after testing with a new document. when I add the first one it is fine. when I add the second one. instead of adding (a) to it since there are two different paper with same first author. it adds the name of second and third author to the first one! and not only the second author but also the first name of the first author and second author.

here how it is
    first shot:
    (Baines et al., 2009)

Baines, T.S., Lightfoot, H.W., Benedettini, O. and Kay, J.M. (2009), “The servitization of manufacturing: a review of literature and reflection on future challenges”, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 20 No. 5, pp. 547–567.

second shot:

(Baines, Lightfoot, Benedettini, et al., 2009)
    (Baines, Lightfoot and Kay, 2009)
    Baines, T.S., Lightfoot, H.W., Benedettini, O. and Kay, J.M. (2009), “The servitization of manufacturing: a review of literature and reflection on future challenges”, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 20 No. 5, pp. 547–567.
    Baines, T.S., Lightfoot, H.W. and Kay, J.M. (2009), “Servitized manufacture: Practical challenges of delivering integrated products and services”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Vol. 223 No. 9, pp. 1207–1215.

Third Shot:
    (T. S. Baines, H. W. Lightfoot, Benedettini, et al., 2009)
    (T. S. Baines, H. W. Lightfoot and Kay, 2009) (Grubic et al., 2009)

Baines, T.S., Lightfoot, H.W. and Kay, J.M. (2009), “Servitized manufacture: Practical challenges of delivering integrated products and services”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Vol. 223 No. 9, pp. 1207–1215.
    Grubic, T., Jennions, I. and Baines, T. (2009), “The Interaction of PSS and PHM-a mutual benefit case”, Annual Conference of Prognostics and Health Management, San Diego, CA, September. Retrieved from http://72.27.231.73/sites/phmsociety.org/files/phm_submission/2009/phmc_09_49.pdf

Is this how the Emerald(harvard) style should work? not (a) , (b) style? No!
    ref: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/authors/guides/write/harvard.htm?part=2

I cleaned the library by merging duplicates and made a new file to start working with and this appeared. It also shows how the http link of Grubic comes to the citation at the end of paper! it is not the style of emerald. I think there is still more work to be done on style.
  • edited May 8, 2013
    Is this how the Emerald(harvard) style should work? not (a) , (b) style? No!
    ref: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/authors/guides/write/harvard.htm?part=2
    That section of the guide is irrelevant, actually. Here is the one contromir probably meant to use in support of that proposition:
    http://www.emeraldinsight.com/authors/guides/write/harvard.htm?part=4

contromir seems to have a point, and it may explain their tone of frustration. The in-text cite section of the Emerald guide does not mention disambiguation by adding names or initials, and neither disambiguation method shows in the examples. It looks safe to remove those two attributes from the style, which will settle this thread, for the most part.

There does still appear to be inconsistent naming in the contromir database (e.g. "Baines, T." and "Baines, T.S."), but that should not matter with this style.
  • edited May 8, 2013
    (I've been through the issues raised, and I don't see anything that points to problems in Zotero or in the citation processor. It's just a question of whether or not the style parameters should be adjusted slightly.)
  • If I understand the guide correctly, the behavior comtomir describes under "two shot" above is correct. See:
    However, if there is more than one multi-authored work in the same year by the same lead author, the names should appear in full.
    Example

Bar-tel, Raviv and Spitzer (1999)
    Crossan, Lane and White (1999)
    This is clearly about in-text citations, since there are no initialis and it _does_ suggest that author last names should be added for disambiguation.

What I'm puzzled by is the behavior when adding the third citation and I can neither understand nor replicate that.

@Comtomir
    You're right about the webpage, I'll fix that.

Could you export those three references in your last example to pastebin one more time?
  • my main concern is their First Name. I dont think they should appear even when we use the other authors last names instead of et al.

right now it brings their first name too on a fresh document.
    in this specific example.

http://pastebin.com/FBvSjZZ2

T.S. is not needed. or L.H.

I should thank you guys all for the support. it is amazing. I feel much better.
  • Great, that's very helpful.
    So I can now replicate this, but in an odd way. Using the three items in the Zotero test pane I get the (correct)
    (Grubic et al., 2009)
    (Baines, Lightfoot and Kay, 2009)
    (Baines, Lightfoot, Benedettini, et al., 2009)

But when using the LibreOffice plugin, same style, same items, otherwise empty document,
    I get the - incorrect -
    (T. S. Baines, H. W. Lightfoot, Benedettini, et al., 2009)
    (T. S. Baines, H. W. Lightfoot and Kay, 2009)
    (Grubic et al., 2009)

Just as contromir reports. That's clearly a bug in Zotero, though I'm not sure if it's citeproc or the word plugin. Frank, Simon, thoughts?

@comtomir - as a short-term workaround, use this style
    https://gist.github.com/adam3smith/5541917/raw/bf3ab62e88f6f970a83930b196a36cf3ff594053/emerald-harvard-modified.csl
    (download using right-click --> save link as... then follow the installation instructions here: http://www.zotero.org/support/styles#alternative_installation_methods )
    This will definitely get rid of initials and will also fix how URLs are cited
  • and it _does_ suggest that author last names should be added for disambiguation.
    Oops, sorry. I missed that example.
    as a short-term workaround, use this style
    Isn't that (removing disambiguate-add-givenname) correct for the style generally though?

In either case, we do have a bug in by-cite disambiguation. It turns out that the initials crop up when a bibliography is added to the document, which is very wrong. I'll look into this soon.
  • A revised processor is now available. You can test it (please!) by installing the processor patch plugin.

It turned out to be quite difficult to get the behaviour right, so testing on this occasion, by anyone who picks up on this thread, would be a good idea.

In addition to the problem with cross-talk in the wrong direction between citations and an inserted bibliography, this fixes a couple of other glitches:
    • the revision implements cross-talk in the right direction (i.e. by-cite disambiguation imposed in citations will elevate disambiguation levels in bibliography entries where relevant); and
    • removing the last partner of cite disambiguated with by-cite disambiguation will remove disambiguation parameters and correctly update the citation.
  • (note that the plugin will only work on Zotero for Firefox)
  • edited May 9, 2013
    Ah, true. I've just updated the plugin, it should work with Standalone as well now. (You may need to uninstall the previous version, and you may need to reselect your style in an already-open document after installing or uninstalling the plugin.)
  • I dont understand what "processor patch plugin" should do.

but the workaround seems to work fine. except it put abbreviations into accolades.
    {MOMS-GA:} A Multi-Objective Multi-State Genetic Algorithm for System Reliability Optimization Design Problems”, {IEEE} Transactions on Reliability,

{ } are not needed. somehow when I delete them and add them again it will fix it tough. but not with refreshing references with new style.
  • The patch plugin add the latest citation formatter to Zotero. It fixes the problems that adamsmith identified above.

If names are formatting correctly for you with the modified version of the Emerald style, you don't need to install the plugin.
  • Is the work-around going to be added to the emerald style?

This abbreviations in {} in bibliiography seems to be a new issue for me. But when I delete references in the text and add them again the problem goes away. It seems the Word keeps stuff or the link in a memory somewhere. What should i do to delete that Memory instead of fixing the problem one by one? I hope by deleting that and refreshing the bibliography stuff comes fresh from the zotero library without problem.

Thanks.
  • the remaining issues in Emerald (mainly webpage related) should now be fixed.
    The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know.