Word plugin and web issues!

I am having two issues I can't figure out after some troubleshooting. When I upload new articles into standalone, they don't come up as an option when I try to cite them in Word 2008--this used to work just fine, but it started to be a problem a few weeks ago. When I login to "mylibrary" in Zotero online, I can see the new articles just fine, so there is synching there.

My second issue: I can't access a Firefox (or Chrome, for that matter) screen with my Zotero library. There used to be a Z icon in the lower right part of my browser, which when I clicked my library just popped up, but it isn't there anymore so I don't know to access this version of my library online.

I would really appreciate some help!! I have Firefox 20.0, Mac OS 10.7.5 and Zotero 4.0.8.
  • check which version of the Zotero add-on you have installed in Firefox (under tools-->add-ons--> extensions). This is not the same as the Standalone version number. If it is not 4.0.8 as well, download and install the most recent version from zotero.org/download
  • Thank you so much for your fast response! I did as you instructed, and one was out of data. I now can cite recent material in Word, so it solved that. But the second issue remains. I don't see the little Z or "zotero" icon in my FF browser that allows easy online access to my library. Do you have thoughts on this?

Thank you again!!
  • That did it! Thank you so much!
  • I am having similar problems with getting the Z symbol to appear in my FF window. It was working at one point several weeks ago, but now is not. I re-installed the plug-in, checked that it was installed (the Add-ons Manager shows v. 4.0.8). I checked the preferences, and tried switching back and forth between showing Z and Zotero. No luck either way. And yet, some portion of the extension is installed, because I have a Zotero option in my control-click menu in FF. It will even grab items - but then I don't know where it puts them. Certainly not in my library, which is empty.

Can you help?
  • Addendum - I opened the Zotero panel with command-shift-Z, and some items are definitely there. Why don't they show up in the Library when I start my browser at zotero.org? And I still would like to get some sign of Zotero integrated with my browser. Thanks!
  • What version of FF are you using? Do you also have Zotero standalone? Do the items appear in your library on your local machine? (Items first go to your local machine and appear on your Zotero.org account only after a sync.) Please take a step back and describe your problem in more detail.
  • For sync see here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/sync
    Have you made sure your add-on bar is visible in FIrefox?
    Check if the Zotero icon shows up under View-->Toolbars-->Customize in Zotero
  • Thanks for the replies. I read through the sync documentation and I understand it better. I did succeed in synching up the online library with my local one.

As to the other issue: I am using v20 of Firefox for Mac. I have not installed Zotero standalone - should I? When I look at View-->Toolbars-->Customize in Firefox, I don't see a Zotero icon. I'm not sure what it means to look at that in Zotero, since I don't have the standalone client.

Any thoughts?
  • No need to install Standalone, no.
    If you use cmd+/ (ie press command and the forward slash at the same time) on your keyboard, does that change anything.
  • Like magic! Yes, I now have the Zotero icon in the bottom right of my window AND a yellow folder in my navigation box.

I see that cmd-/ is the firefox keyboard shortcut to show/hide add-on bar. I was able to figure that out in reverse, but would never have thought to look for that option - thanks so much.
  • while that's in the instructions for the "no status bar icon problem" http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_status_bar_icon (though without the keyboard shortcut) it's hidden in the middle of the third paragraph. I'll look at rewriting that to make it easier to find.