Debug ID: D1436520973 - WebDAV won't sync attachments across devices

Hello,

I have been using Zotero standalone successfully for a while, using WedDAV (CloudMe) to sync between a desktop windows PC and and Apple MacBook. Everything was fine until recently. However, I currently have the following problem.

Lets say I import a citation and pdf (using Chrome) onto my desktop. I then sync, and the file appears on the WebDAV server, and the .prop file. I then sync on my laptop, and the citation will appear in Zotero, plus the drop-down acknowledgement that there was a PDF attachment. However, I then get a file not found error.

I have followed the instructions given here (http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing), with no luck. The debug ID is in the subject of this post.

One interesting observation - when I log in to CloudMe and look at my Zotero folder, I see the .prop and .zip files, as expected. However, the .prop file icons of recent imports look different from those of older imports. The icons of older imports have 'txt' written on them, implying they know they are text. Newer imports have generic file icons. Maybe this is a clue?

Thanks for you help!!!

Fran
  • another error report from CloudMe here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/29364/webdav-not-working-properly-with-attachments/#Item_1
    likely related.
  • I literally have no idea what I did, but it seems to be working...

Maybe the resetting sync history did something, and I didn't test it properly. Lets hopw it doesn't happen again!
  • Aha, what did you do to get it working again? I have done the reset several times now (and on each machine) but to no avail. I also ensured that everything was updated.
  • I wish I knew what I did....!

Maybe it was the fact I forgot my password and updated it? Probably not though...

I also downloaded a citation on my laptop and synced it over to my desktop. That worked,. I then downloaded a citation onto my desktop, synced it, and sent it over to my macbook. At that point it worked, and previous erroneous citations had fixed themselves!
  • Haha, how often that happens!

Changed your password with whom? CloudMe?
  • I know!

Yep, changed it with CloudMe.

If my Zotero wasn't fixed, I'd try a hard reinstall on the broken device. But it is fixed :P
  • (Reinstalling Zotero almost never does anything, and we don't recommend it as a troubleshooting step.)
  • It has been fixed! Changed the password for my CloudMe account and (obviously) changed my account details on each computer and it has worked.

Who knows what happened! Possibly if you have been inactive in actually logging on directly, it causes problems as I have not logged into CloudMe directly for some time.
  • Thanks everyone for your help! I will now link my thread to this thread as well in case anyone else finds this!
  • edited May 9, 2013
    I don't think your issues were related, for what it's worth. FrancoP, in your original report you were using Zotero 4.0.4. I suspect upgrading to 4.0.8—assuming you did that—is what fixed this for you. 4.0.6 fixed an incompatibility with CloudMe in Zotero 4.0.

(That kind of reinstall—upgrading to the latest version—is certainly always recommended.)