upgraded and all libraries were erased

report ID 1687836985 sent on 7-23-2008
I upgraded and now all my libraries are gone. Any ideas what I should do?
Thanks
  • edited July 23, 2008
    First, disable any other Firefox extensions you have installed and see if that fixes the problem.

Do you still see your collections in the left pane?
  • I'm sorry Dan. I should have mentioned that I saw you give that advice in another thread and DID try that already. Disabled all of them and no help. Libraries are all still gone.
  • Could you upload your database to the DB Repair Tool and send the Upload ID to support@zot....org? (You can ignore the download links it provides.) I'd like to rule out an actual issue with your database, and then we could focus on other potential causes.
  • I can't find the data base. I'm using vista.
  • Click the "Show Data Directory" button in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • I uploaded it but never got an upload ID.
  • edited July 24, 2008
    You should get a new page with an Upload ID and other instructions after you upload the file, but it's possible you hit a timeout of some sort and got a blank page instead.

Anyhow, I believe I found your upload (or two of them, rather), and you uploaded an empty database (containing just the Quick Start Guide) created on December 29th, 2007.

So, most likely you somehow switched to a different Zotero data directory, or perhaps an entirely separate Firefox profile. (Are all your recent bookmarks and other settings still present?)

You'll have to look around on your computer for a zotero.sqlite file larger than 1.2MB. One upload attempt from you failed as too large, so perhaps you found the correct database but it was too large to upload.
  • How can you backup BEFORE your Zotero archiv might disappear, for one reasosn or another ?

- ft
  • Also, just to be very clear, while regular backups of Zotero data (as with any important data) are always highly recommended, we haven't seen any indication that there are any data loss issues with current versions of Zotero.

We do recommend that all Firefox 2 users upgrade to Firefox 3 and, if "Check Database Integrity" in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs displays an error, that they run their databases through the DB Repair Tool, as there were database instability problems in Firefox 2.
  • Many thanks, Catherine. I had already everything backuped , thanks to SyncBack, but didn't see it !