Citation styles : Problem with page numbering format

Hi,

I've been trying to create a citation style for a specific journal when I found that I couldn't match the page numbering format. The style calls for page numbering like 2301-2311 but with CSL I only could get 2301-11.
Is it a missing option of CSL or I am missing something ?
I then found that all zotero styles that require this page numbering do it wrong too (check Nature Journal for example).
  • Yesterday, I wondered about the same question... and didn't find an answer yet. I noticed that when you import a ref in Zotero, the page numbers are already in the abbreviated format.

Is there any way to deal with this issue? Or is it possible to define startpage and endpage separately in CSL (which would also solve the problem...)?

Thx!

Jokke
  • xc2121 - Can you look at what the page numbers look like for the original item in your collection? My guess is that the pages look like 2301-11, which means that your CSL is doing what you want, but that your data is lacking.

Jokke - It might be possible, albeit potentially overly complex, to have Zotero add in the rest of the page numbers on import. This would only be advisable if we were confident that the second number in a series of page numbers should be at least as many digits as the first number. With that said, for the time begin, it looks like it will be necessary to manually edit them.
  • Right on it Tjowens ! The original items in the collection actually show abbreviated page numbering. My collection is mostly imported Pubmed items and they do not have the entire page numbers. Like Jokke suggested it would nice if the import process could reconstitute the full page numbers.
  • Thx for the answer Tjowens.

The output in CSL is indeed fully determined by what is in the database, which in turn depends on the source of import (which is all extremely logical :)). I noticed that import from Pubmed results in abbreviated page numbers, while import from e.g. Sciencedirect results in full page numbers.

I was hoping for an option in the CSL that enabled formatting the page numbers in either way, independent of the data in the database. I know this is possible in e.g. Bibus, but apparently not (yet ?) using CSL...
  • I was hoping for an option in the CSL that enabled formatting the page numbers in either way, independent of the data in the database. I know this is possible in e.g. Bibus, but apparently not (yet ?) using CSL...
    I'm not sure whether CSL supports it, but Zotero doesn't yet.