How do I enter this resource in Zotero?

Hi. Here is the entry as printed:

"<i>Bibliographia philosophica 1934-45</i> ed. G. A. de Brie. I. <i>Bibliographia historiae philosophiae</i>, Brussels, 1950. II. <i>Bibliographia philosophiae</i>, Antwerp, 1954."

Can someone please explain how I enter this as an item in Zotero? Thanks very much in advance.
  • I don't know. May very well not be possible - Zotero items currently don't have multiple dates and publishers and I'm not sure if we're going to get them beyond original date and publisher.

I know for a fact that no citation style in Zotero would produce something even vaguely resembling this. So what I'd do is to find out what's really being cited here and what is what and then enter it in Zotero in the most plausible way. E.g. - there are three book titles here - which one is the one I'd look up in a library? Use that. There are two publication locations and dates - when and where was the item I'm citing from actually printed? Use those. etc.
  • Or enter it as three different items (and use the "related" tab to 'link' them)?
  • Dear Adam,

First, let me once again thank you for all your work. Zotero is excellent.

You wrote above: "Zotero items currently don't have multiple dates".

I am about to submit a manuscript with a few hundred sources and a many, many footnotes; many of these sources are journal articles, and the journals often have years such as "1977-78".

At the moment, this does not work. I think I am going to have to go through every single note and fix this. And do the same for the bibliography. Is that right? Or is there a way to get the date field to recognize "1977-79" and display it correctly. In other words, can I modify my CSL to get this to work?

I asked this question about 2 years ago, and there some some notion that supporting multiple dates would happen. But I see the above is from April 2013, and it seems the answer is the same . . . not yet.

Just checking to see the status,

Take care,

Daniel
  • two separate issues:
    1. Date ranges - not yet possible (CSL can handle them, but Zotero can't), but we'll hopefully get to this sooner rather than later. A possible workaround is here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/6111/2/better-date-field/#Item_14

2. Multiple different dates of publication (the 1950 and 1954 in the example). I don't see that happening anytime soon beyond original data of publication.
  • Thanks Adam,

What do you mean "beyond the original date of publication"?

Is there a new field to be created for original date of publication? I don't see one now.

Again, thanks for everything.

Daniel
  • Is there a new field to be created for original date of publication?
    yes. Again, CSL already has the variable, so all that's need is the Zotero field. That one is actually pretty easy, so it's almost certainly going to be in Zotero 4.2. No guarantees for the date range
  • Adam,

Thanks. I will look forward to that!

I found the workaround that uses the "Extra" field as the date field. But I don't think I am going to do that, but rather wait for Zotero 4.2. Having that original date field will be really useful.

Take care,

Daniel