No Zotero icons in browser window since Firefox 20 upgrade

Mac OS 10.6.8. Firefox automatically upgraded to 20.0, and Zotero upgraded to 3.0.14.1. Now I no longer have Zotero icons in my browser window. Is Zotero 4.0 compatible with Mac OS 10.6.8? I don't want to attempt an upgrade until I'm sure of compatibility. Easy fix please, I'm under pressure to finish my thesis!
  • Also, Zotero no longer appears in the lower right hand corner of my browser screen...
  • Install Zotero 4.0 from zotero.org.
  • Thanks, I've installed 4.0.4, but there are still no icons or any signs of Zotero on my browser. My Zotero library is intact, and although I am able to retrieve links, Firefox doesn't recognize them as Zotero (asks if I am sure I want to open - but once open a yellow icon ('local file') appears beside the url. Pdfs download instantly.

I searched and was unable to find info regarding any changes in how to use 4.0. I have several Zotero Firefox extensions and really appreciate using them, especially in compiling bibliographies. I also appreciate being able to organize my research into folders in my Zotero library. Thanks for any help you can give me to get back on track.
  • My Zotero library is intact, and although I am able to retrieve links, Firefox doesn't recognize them as Zotero (asks if I am sure I want to open - but once open a yellow icon ('local file') appears beside the url. Pdfs download instantly.
    I don't know what you mean here at all. Retrieve links how? What type of links?

Regardless of the answer, run through these steps: http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_status_bar_icon
  • I'm referring to saved research as 'links', and to me, clicking on them in my library 'retrieves' them. I may not be using the right language.

My add-ons show I have Zotero 3.0.11 installed, no mention of 4.0.4., and yes it does appear 4.0.4 installed successfully. I turned everything off and back on again. No change.
  • you need to find a way to get 4.0.4 installed.
    What exactly are you doing & what happens when you try?
  • I did install 4.0.4 at your suggestion (for Mac). Tools add-ons show only 3.0.11. Zotero opens in its own screen with library intact. There is no add-on icon in my library, nor is there a Zotero icon anywhere in my Firefox browser window.
  • wait - did you install Zotero Standalone or the Firefox add-on?
  • Since Zotero did not upgrade as it usually does, I downloaded Zotero for Mac (Mac OS X client) from Zotero.org, which is what I thought I had done when I originally installed Zotero. Are you saying I need to uninstall, and reinstall Zotero for Firefox?
  • edited April 12, 2013
    ah yes. But no need to uninstall - just install the Firefox add-on version from zotero.org/download, that will upgrade your Firefox add-on version to 4.0.4 (you originally installed from mozilla, which lags behind in updating Zotero, that's why the auto update didn't work. Once you've updated from zotero.org you'll automatically get the most recent update in the future.
  • Done, and thanks! The simplest techy things can sometimes be the most confounding - especially for those of us who were not raised with computers.
  • Great, glad things are working for you again.
  • edited April 13, 2013
    I have Zotero 4.0.4 and I'm having that problem - no icon to add anything to my library. :(
    I have Zotero stand alone, and I use WaterFox. It has worked before, nothing since yesterday.
  • Which version of WaterFox?
    Which version of the Zotero add-on is installed in Waterfox?
    Beyond that see http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_address_bar_icon