Ovid translator not working

The Ovid translator is not working in that the icon in the address bar is not visible. Also, if I export Ovid citations Zotero does not trap them. I have version 1.0.2r2151 and I have tried updating the translators and resetting the translators and styles without success.
  • I have the same problem. I do not see download icons for any ovid database, whether using the old interface or the new SP interface.

Is this broken for good? I was considering migrating to Zotero from Endnote (I need something x-platform) but Ovid compatibility is essential to me...
  • It's not broken for good. The new SP interface changed part of their URL path, which caused Zotero to stop recognizing the site. I just pushed a fix to the translator that ought to restore functionality.

You can update manually your translators in the Preferences pane in Zotero or they will automatically update within the next 24 hours.

If you continue to have problems with the Ovid translator please continue posting to this discussion. Thanks.
  • That was quick :o)

The icons have now appeared (folder and article), but when I try to download I get the error message "Couldn not save item : an error occured while saving this item".
  • Huh. I'm having no problems downloading from Ovid. Could you post a couple of the URLs that are giving you problems? Thanks.
  • edited January 29, 2008
    OK - much better - not sure what I was doing before :-/

I can get refs from any database in the old Ovid interface, but still see no icons in Ovid SP (the new interface). I believe Ovid plan to switch to this interface permanently in the near future (and already have for some databases...).
  • Yeah, the fix before fixed Ovid for the old interface, but not SP. We just pushed another fix that ought to let you save data from Ovid SP. Again, please let us know if it doesn't work for you. Thanks.
  • I'm afraid SP still isn't working for me - no folder/article icons.

Thanks for your work on this - Zotero seems like to could be a very useful tool...
  • Not quite so bad - after I updated my translators (Doh!) I now see icons, but get the "Could not save item : an error occured while saving this item" error on trying to download...
  • I get the folder icon but not for individual articles. Any thoughts?
  • I still have this error message when I try and capture from OVID. I see the icons but get the "Could not save" message. Anyone else still having this issue? Any way to fix it?
  • I have problems with Ovid SP too. I installed both Firefox and Zotero for the first time yesterday (Spanish version) . I run Windows XPSP2. I can see the icons for the folders and the papers but when I click on them I only can see the red bordered rectangle at the right bottom of my screen. There is nothing within the rectangle and nothing is saved in My Library. I have not this problem with pubmed.
    Best regards
    Here is an example of link
    http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/spb/ovidweb.cgi?&S=JKKLFPOCOIDDFEEKNCILFHPJICPPAA00&Abstract=S.sh.15%7c1%7c1
  • Same for me here : I can see the icons for the folders and the papers but when I click on them I only can see the red bordered rectangle at the right bottom of my screen.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.4, Win XP, and the library I'm working in is now using the new OVID SP interface.

It's really annoying because we use OVID SP to access INPEC, Current Contents, Francis and Pascal databases !!!

I tried to work around this problem but there is no way to export results in BIB TEX format, so I'm completely stuck.

Thanks for your help,

JHM
  • Trouble with OvidSP

Same as above : I can see the icons for the folders and the papers but when I click on them I only can see the red bordered rectangle at the right bottom of my screen with the typical "known translator" error message.

Running Vista (yuck), FF 3.0.4, zotero 1.0.7

link examples

http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/spb/ovidweb.cgi?&S=MOBMFPLLBFDDGMPCNCGLEGMJOBMMAA00&Browse=Toc+Children|YES|S.sh.15.16|45|60

If I go to the individual papers, I do not see an icon

example

http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/spb/ovidweb.cgi?&S=MOBMFPLLBFDDGMPCNCGLEGMJOBMMAA00&Link+Set=S.sh.15.16.41|11|sl_10

Zotero is pretty freaking awsome (from a reformed endnote user)
  • (Re: error report 1290917121)

I also can't get Zotero to download citations from OVID, which was the primary reason I got Zotero in the first place. Help? I just get the blasted empty red box, and none of the citations come onto the list!

e.g. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com.myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/spb/ovidweb.cgi

Thanks

-Aliza
  • edited January 28, 2009
    I have the exactly the same problem:

quote:
    "Same as above : I can see the icons for the folders and the papers but when I click on them I only can see the red bordered rectangle at the right bottom of my screen"

(only difference: I do not see an error message, or maybe i just don't know wherw to look for it)

FF 3.0.5, zotero 1.0.9

I hope this can be fixed - I gather a large part of my citations via Ovidsp

Edit: this is my link to my ovid search. I access it through my university library:
    http://ovidsp.uk.ovid.com.ep.fjernadgang.kb.dk/spb/ovidweb.cgi

I appreciate you work on Zotero - it is a great tool!
  • same problem too, with PASCAL database (french)

"My thesis without Zotero ?? Are you crazy ?"
  • Is there no news on this?
    There are still troubles with Ovid.
    Problem: "Same as above : I can see the icons for the folders and the papers but when I click on them I only can see the red bordered rectangle at the right bottom of my screen"

For me personally some do download, but that is only a fraction of what I need...
    Is it possible to look into this?

Jarne
  • Please post problem links for items that are not working. Also see this thread for other Ovid issues.
  • Here's an example from the PASCAL database (OVID-SP).

I make a simple search on the word "cayenne", and I get 250 results.
    The folder icon appears in the address bar. I click on it and select the first record ("Diagnostic thermique et amelioration du confort thermique...") then "OK".

An empty red bordered window appears on the lower right hand corner of the screen, but the record is not imported into Zotero.

Then I open in OVID-SP the first record in "Full reference" mode.
    (link : http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/spa/ovidweb.cgi?&S=KLAKFPMHECDDMCOHNCGLLEPLJFCFAA00&Complete+Reference=S.sh.37%7c1%7c1)

I click on the icon in the address bar, and as mentioned before, an empty red bordered window appears on the lower right hand corner of the screen, but the record is not imported into Zotero.

Other examples or records from other OVID-SP databases which cannot be imported into Zotero :

http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/spa/ovidweb.cgi?&S=KLAKFPMHECDDMCOHNCGLLEPLJFCFAA00&Complete+Reference=S.sh.55%7c1%7c1
    [from FRANCIS database]

http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/spa/ovidweb.cgi?&S=KLAKFPMHECDDMCOHNCGLLEPLJFCFAA00&Complete+Reference=S.sh.101%7c1%7c1
    [from MEDLINE (R) database]

http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/spa/ovidweb.cgi?&S=KLAKFPMHECDDMCOHNCGLLEPLJFCFAA00&Complete+Reference=S.sh.118%7c2%7c1
    [from Current Contentes database]

Is this helpful ?

Thanks for your help,

JHM
  • +1 for having the same issues. Please help! I need OvidSP to work.

Is there any way I can help? I'd love to contribute to Zotero. EndNote who?
  • I get the folder icon on Ovid, but clicking on it tells me there's a known translator issue. I'm up to date on translators, using FF 3.0.10, Zotero 1.0.10 on OSX 10.5.6.

http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/spa/ovidweb.cgi?&S=LFAEFPKDILDDJOIKNCFLFHPJAHLMAA00&Browse=Toc+Children|YES|S.sh.15.16|1|60

Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • I still have this problem .. now using ff 3.5 and zotero 2b7

When I look at the zotero overview of translators page, the test date for ovid appears to be back in 2007.

Anyone?
  • I've been having the same problem. The only work around I could find is to copy the article title and look it up in Google Scholar. Then I could export it from GS to bibtex format and import it into Zotero. Not fun.
  • Trying to import citations from OvidSP to Zotero. The journal articles are being imported as "Web pages" and do not include the Journal information. Is there a way to fix this?
  • could you describe step-by-step what you're doing - especially the database & search terms would be relevant.
  • I'll try my best to describe it, thanks!

The database I'm using is: Ovid MEDLINE(R) In-Process & Other Non-Indexed Citations and Ovid MEDLINE(R) 1946 to Present

I'm using a website called Walter Kluwer Health: OvidSP

There are a lot of search terms, so I'll list them at the end.

After the search, I select the citations I want to export. I click "Export. I select Export to: "RIS". I select to export the "Complete Reference". And then I open the file with Zotero.

Here is my search history:
    1 exp Socioeconomic Factors/
    2 (social adj2 class).mp. [mp=title, abstract, original title, name of substance word, subject heading word, keyword heading word, protocol supplementary concept, rare disease supplementary concept, unique identifier]
    3 (income or poverty).mp. [mp=title, abstract, original title, name of substance word, subject heading word, keyword heading word, protocol supplementary concept, rare disease supplementary concept, unique identifier]
    4 canada.mp. or exp Canada/
    5 socioeconom$.mp. [mp=title, abstract, original title, name of substance word, subject heading word, keyword heading word, protocol supplementary concept, rare disease supplementary concept, unique identifier]
    6 Educational Status/
    7 Social Class/
    8 1 or 2 or 3 or 5 or 6 or 7
    9 Food Services/ec, sn, sd, td [Economics, Statistics & Numerical Data, Supply & Distribution, Trends]
    10 Food Supply/ec, sn [Economics, Statistics & Numerical Data]
    11 Food Dispensers, Automatic/ec, sn, ut [Economics, Statistics & Numerical Data, Utilization]
    12 Restaurants/ec, sn, ut [Economics, Statistics & Numerical Data, Utilization]
    13 Fast Foods/ae, ec, sn, sd, ut [Adverse Effects, Economics, Statistics & Numerical Data, Supply & Distribution, Utilization]
    14 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 or 13
    15 4 and 8 and 14
  • We know about the RIS problem - that's due to what Ovid does with their RIS - but you should be getting a URL bar icon on Ovid Medline - are you not?
  • Oh thank you, I didn't notice that was an option for importing references. Much more straightforward. Yes, it works.