A button to show Related items in the center column?

If there is a button on "Related' tab of the right column to show the related items in the center column, that would be useful.

At the moment, titles of related items are listed on "Related" tab. However, when there are many (5+) related articles, just being able to see titles is a little frustrating. Often, I want to check authors and year as well, but to do so, I need to click each item and check its data and go back.

If a button "Show in the center column" allows us to see a list of related items in the center column, then we can sort them check year and authors etc easily.

One potential problem with such a button may be the difficulty to go back to the original item from the listed view. Coloring the title of the original item in yellow may help to find it easily. Alternatively, you could show a "Back to the original item" button at the top of the right column during browsing related items in the center column.

How do you think about this idea?
  • There is some movement in this direction. The Item History plugin offers navigation back and forth between related items (actually through your entire browsing history within a collection or library).

There is also some code running in an experimental version of Zotero that shows some further details about related items (author, year, volume, etc) under the Related tab. The tricky bit with this is that the display code needs to perform disambiguation, so that enough information is displayed to discriminate between similar entries (two different editions of the same work, say) without making the list too cluttered to be useful. The code I have is working, but still a bit too rough to be offered up to the core developers. But this experiment (or another by someone else) may get there with time.
  • Thanks, good to know about the progress. I'm looking forward to seeing and using those new functions, then. :)
  • +1
    I would really love to see this feature. We now have the column for attachments, which makes a lot of sense. I would love to have a similar symbol, an asterisk or whatever in a column for rleated items. That can't be too difficult to implement, but would make the related function so much better!
  • @migugg: that's not exactly the features requested by the OP. Yours is closer to this one: https://github.com/zotero/zotero/pull/175
  • probably, yes, you are right. Please make this part of the next release.