How to turn on/off automatic journal abbrevation?

Hi,

The changelog for Zotero 4.0 mentions automatic journal abbreviation support, and says 'Currently disabled by default; can be enabled in the Cite→Styles pane of the preferences'.

I have upgraded to 4.0.1 in Firefox (19.0.2), but the Cite->Styles pane does not have an visible option to configure automatic journal abbreviations.

Gavin
  • It's in the document preferences, via word processor integration.
  • Hi,
    I have updated both Zotero and the Word add-in, but I can't find the option in the document preferences.
    Thanks for your help,
    Frédérique
  • @Frédérique: but you know how to open the document preferences?
    Click the "Zotero Set Doc Prefs": http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#plugin_toolbar

That should open this window: http://i.imgur.com/ZTHyIeh.png
    (ou en français: http://i.imgur.com/286r6vx.png )
  • Oui, c'est bien cette fenêtre que j'ai ouvert ; il manque bien la case pour abréger automatiquement les titres.
  • Vous êtes certaine d'avoir la version 4.0?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/fr/kb/zotero_version
  • Oui, je l'avais installée dès la fin mars. Je viens de vérifier à nouveau, c'est bien la version 4.
  • (Just in case, the 4.0-level release of MLZ will be coming out very soon.)
  • edited April 3, 2013
    @Frédérique: Changez de style, je pense que là est le problème.
    the automatic journal abbreviations option appears in the document preferences window when a relevant style is selected,
    (source)
  • edited April 3, 2013
    Hi,

Ahhh. It's style dependent. The option appears with some styles (e.g., American Institute of Physics).

Gavin
  • Oui bien sûr, j'aurais dû y penser plus tôt... Avec un style qui ne prévoit pas d'abréviation de titre cela fonctionne. Toutefois ne serait-il pas intéressant de proposer aussi cette option pour les styles qui prévoit des titres abrégés? Pour ces styles en effet, si le titre abrégé n'est pas renseigné dans le champ "Abrév. revue", c'est le titre complet qui est utilisé.
  • @gavin: read my post above. The date modified of Zotero.dot is not a problem (mine is 8 Nov. 2011 too).
  • @simon: maybe this option should always be visible but greyed out when the selected style do not use abbr.? (and the explanation message could be amended to make clear that a "relevant style" must be selected - what a "relevant style" is not clear for me however.)
  • The option appears only when a style that uses journal title abbreviations is selected.

I'm hesitant to show the journal abbreviation grayed out for non-abbreviated styles because it might make the dialog run off the screen for people with netbooks. (It would just barely fit in 600px on OS X; I haven't tested Windows, Linux, or non-English locales.) Right now, since the footnote/endnote and journal abbreviation options are mostly mutually exclusive and each is only shown when a relevant style is selected, this should happen very rarely. But maybe, if it fits, we could show it.
  • edited April 3, 2013
    Simon: Ok. Thanks.
    The option appears only when a style that uses journal title abbreviations is selected.
    You mean when container-title-short or container-title form=short is used in the CSL style, right?
    And what's the current behaviour when the Journal Abbr. field is empty in Zotero and the style uses container-title-short? (I assume that's Frédérique's question above, but I'm confused)
  • I'm afraid I've misunderstood the aim of this option. I thought it was designed to abbreviate the journal title in any case, regardingless of the "relevance" of the style, even for non-abbreviated styles.
    I have a last question : for the journals not indexed in MEDLINE, the only other option is to use the abbreviation filter plugin?
    Thanks and sorry for the confusion,
    Frédérique
  • edited April 4, 2013
    (This feature was broken for most users in Zotero 4.0-4.0.2; it's fixed in 4.0.3, available now.)
    I'm afraid I've misunderstood the aim of this option. I thought it was designed to abbreviate the journal title in any case, regardingless of the "relevance" of the style, even for non-abbreviated styles.
    No, that was not the goal, but if there's enough demand, we might consider it.
    I have a last question : for the journals not indexed in MEDLINE, the only other option is to use the abbreviation filter plugin?
    Zotero will automatically abbreviate journals not indexed by MEDLINE in MEDLINE style (i.e., using LTWA).

If you want to define custom abbreviations (i.e., not using MEDLINE or LTWA), it's possible to do so by creating a specially formatted JSON file in your Zotero data directory. I will write up documentation for this at some point, but essentially you'd need to create a file called abbreviations.json with the same format as the abbreviations.json included with Zotero.