Style Request: University of Birmingham Social Policy

Hi,

Thanks for recently uploading the University of Birmingham style. This style is almost exactly what I was looking for but I was wondering if you would possibly be able to modify it slightly to create a University of Birmingham- Social Policy Style?

The minor modifications that I would like to request are as follows;

i) include 'p' (or 'pp') to indicate page number(s) in the reference list
ii) italicize 'et al' where it is included (both in the references in the text and in the reference list at the end)
iii) remove 'accessed on' date from journal article entries in reference list (this should be retained for websites etc)
iv)remove limit on the number of authors allowed in the reference list citation (at the moment I think this is restricted to three and then 'et al')

Thanks
  • sorry, we don't have the capacity to do university/department specific styles anymore.
    There is a visual CSL editor:
    http://steveridout.com/csl/about/
    which is easier to use than editing the styles manually (though still not trivial).
    We'd be happy to help with any specific questions.
  • Do you still need help with this? I wrote the UoB style sheet and can probably do most of these quite quickly.

For iii) do you just want to loose the date, or the URL as well? If the latter, this is actually a setting in Zotero's preferences (Cite > Styles > Include URLs of paper articles in references).
  • Thanks, if you could have a look at this then that would be great.

I have had a look at your suggestion for iii) and that seems to have resolved the problem but if you could have a go at creating a modified style which makes the other three minor changes then I would be very grateful.
  • edited March 22, 2013
    ii and iv will be straightforward and quick.

I'm not sure what you're after for i. Is there a document detailing Social Policy's requirement you could point me to?

As it stands, page ranges of things that are part of larger things will be given in the bibliography, eg a journal article or a chapter in an edited book. There are different sorts of page, in effect. If an article runs from page 327 to 349 it always does so, this is recorded in Zotero and will appear in the bibliography. If you cite a particular sentence or two that appear on page 333 you indicate this when you insert the citation. This is a locator. Currently that appears only in the citation, not in the bibliography. The bibliography will still have pp. 327-349 (actually in the case of articles it doesn't use pp. - an inconsistency in the UoB guidelines).

Are you saying you want p.333 to appear in the bibliography in this case? I'm not actually sure that that is possible.

If it is, do you still want the 327-349? And what do you do if you later cite a sentence from page 340? Is that two separate appearances in the bibliography for the same article?

Might be easier to take this to email. Are you tad731?
  • Are you saying you want p.333 to appear in the bibliography in this case? I'm not actually sure that that is possible.
    you're right, it's not.
    I would guess, though, s/he just wants pp. in front of page ranges for journal articles as well.
  • Ah yes, that seems obvious now I look at it again.
  • I was just hoping to add 'pp.' in front of a page range...I am tad731 if you want to send me an e-mail to clarify but I think Adam has cleared up my query.

Thanks for your help