Titles missing from formatted text pasted into notes

I have recently noticed that the first line of notes made by pasting text from .doc or .odt files is no longer automatically turned into the title of the notes in the central library column in zotero. In this column the new notes made in this way are shown just with the note icon on the right and a blank space where the title should appear.

The problem persists even when I press ctrl+A to select all text in the new note and then click the eraser icon to erase all of the formatting in the note.

The problem persists when all other firefox extensions are turned off.

Previously (perhaps before 3.0? or perhaps it was more recent than that) I didn't have this problem pasting text from word or .odt documents into notes.

I'm using Zotero 3.0.8 with Firefox 14.0.1 in Xubuntu 12.04 64 bit, with Chinese language as the default.

Please let me know if I can provide other information.
  • It may be that I'm the only one who has encountered this problem. The problem is still persisting for me. Is there any way that I could help investigate what could be the cause? Though I don't have any programming skills, I'd be very happy to send screen shots and do any testing that anyone could suggest.

Thanks much for your help.
  • I'm having this issue as well...was there ever a solution?
  • Click the HTML button in the note editor, copy the HTML from the beginning of the note, up through the first line of text, and paste it here between <code> </code> tags.
  • <code> <p><strong id="internal-source-marker_0.04127626190893352" style="color: #000000; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium; font-weight: normal;"> </strong></p>
    <p style="margin-left: 2.25pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" dir="ltr"><strong id="internal-source-marker_0.04127626190893352" style="color: #000000; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium; font-weight: normal;"><span style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Synopsis:  London exhibition, united two versions of the Virgin of the Rocks; also the recently attributed Salvator Mundi.</span></strong></p>
    <p><strong id="internal-source-marker_0.04127626190893352" style="color: #000000; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium; font-weight: normal;"> <br /> </strong></p>
    <p style="margin-left: 2.25pt; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;" dir="ltr"><strong id="internal-source-marker_0.04127626190893352" style="color: #000000; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium; font-weight: normal;"><span style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Notes</span></strong></p>
    <p><strong id="internal-source-marker_0.04127626190893352" style="color: #000000; font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium; font-weight: normal;">
    <ul>
    <li style="list-style-type: disc; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;"><span style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Syson, Leonardo and the Duke of Milan</span>
    <ul>
    <li style="list-style-type: circle; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;"><span style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">both had unusual paths to prominence</span></li>
    <li style="list-style-type: circle; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;"><span style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Lorenzo de Medici a friend of Ludovico’s, likely the engineer of Leo’s going to Milan</span></li>
    <li style="list-style-type: circle; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;"><span style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">Sforza ‘house style’</span></li>
    <li style="list-style-type: circle; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;"><span style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">first major comm in Milan, for the Virgin, is not for the duke, however; in it Leonardo paints as a ‘natural philosopher’</span></li>
    <li style="list-style-type: circle; font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline;"><span style="font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial; color: #000000; background-color: transparent; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap;">by the second version contradictory impulses show themselves; is the painter to be the mirror of nature, or should painting also embrace the metaphysical?</span></li>
    </ul>
    </li>
    </ul>
    </strong></p>
    <p> </p>
    <p> </p><codex>
  • If you make an edit to the note, does this change? Have you tried putting your cursor at the beginning of the visible text and pressing Backspace to make sure there's nothing before it? We could change this to still show the first line, but there's an empty paragraph before your text, which is why there's a blank title.
  • No, that didn't work. Right now the only solution is copying/pasting to a new note.
  • edited March 14, 2013
    OK, well, at the very last you can go to HTML mode and delete the first block of <p>...&lt/p>.

I'll look into this, though. It's not necessarily a bug that it doesn't show anything for the title, since there is a paragraph there (though we could decide to change the title behavior in the case of an empty paragraph)—the bug would be that you don't see the paragraph in the note editor and can't delete it.
  • OK, thanks!
  • I'm still having this problem, too. I've found that if I want the first line of the note to appear as the title in the in the central frame, I first paste the comment from the .doc or .odt document into a new comment, and then select all and copy the contents of that note I just created, create a new note, and then paste again. Then the title appears in the central frame as one would expect.

This works, but it's an extra step that wasn't necessary before I created this thread.