OpenOffice plugin

I just installed Zotero with FF 3 and the latest plugin for Openoffice however when I try to insert a citation OO is jammed and I get the highly reported error "an error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure firefox is open". Well FF is working, in OO extension manager all the Zotero app are enabled and the report error is "JavaScript Error: "extensions has no properties" {file: "chrome://ubufox/content/overlay.js"
I am using OO 2.4.1 under Ubuntu Gutsy linux.
If understand what is wrong, pleas help
  • Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the documentation?
    http://www.zotero.org/documentation/openoffice_integration

In particular, is ZoteroRPC.py enabled? You can find more information about that in the 1st entry in the "Troubleshooting" section of the page linked above.
  • I have tied it, zoteroRPC.py is enabled. Restarting, reinstalling dose not help.
    Thanks for the answer.
  • Do you have more than one user account in use at once, for example with fast user-switching?

I've seen OOo get confused when two users are signed in simultaneously. The Zotero OOo plugin window would appear on the desktop of the first user to have signed in, even when the second user has called it by trying to add a citation.

That wouldn't apply if the two users are not signed at the same time, though.
  • I am not aware of setting up two accounts, do you mean for OO? anyway I don't have 2 not for the OS or OO
  • OK, so it's not that. I did mean two user accounts on the level of the OS, and you'd know if there were more than one, I think.

You could try temporarily disabling all the other extensions you've installed for Firefox and OpenOffice.org.

You could also try with a new OOo profile, by completely exiting OOo (including the quickstarter), renaming ~/.openoffice.org2 (for example, to ~/.openoffice.org2.bak) and then restarting OOo and reinstalling the Zotero extension.
  • I will try disabling the other extentions. I am not to sure how to change the OOo profile, but I will try to, on sunday thou.
  • There are some more instructions that explain how to reset your OOo user profile here: http://katana.oooninja.com/w/openoffice.org/troubleshooting

As that page indicates, one way to rename your user profile is to run the following command from a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal):
    mv ~/.openoffice.org2 ~/.openoffice.org2.backup
    You can just copy that line and paste it into the Terminal, then press Enter.

But make sure to completely exit OpenOffice.org first. If you are using the quickstarter, which puts an OOo icon in the system notification area (and which I believe is activated by default on Ubuntu), then right-click on the icon and choose "Exit Quickstarter."
  • OK so both things (FF extensions and OOo profiles). I am really frustrated about it.
    Could it be something with my Java settings?
    thanks for the help sybille
  • Java probably doesn't have anything to do with it, Zotero doesn't use Java. Zotero uses javascript, but that's something altogether different.

Just to check, is the python-uno package installed? That's on the troubleshooting page, and I've been supposing you've tried everything there.

I don't know that I'm doing more than making suggestions from the documentation at this point. But if we can rule out some things, maybe that will clear the way for an actual developer to come to really help. :)
  • OK took me some time. Actually I think this is the problem. I am using OOo 2.4.1 on Gutsy. If I try to install python-uno from synaptic it tells me I need to remove the OOo 2.4.1 packages. I am looking for a way to solve it.
    Sorry for not noticing that before
  • Did you ever figure things out?

I case you haven't (and I hope that's not the case!), Synaptic has indicated that your current version of OOo will be removed because it only knows about the version in the repositories for Ubuntu Gutsy, which is 2.3.0-1ubuntu5.

Unless you have a specific reason to need to use OOo 2.4.1, you could return to the Ubuntu-supported version and then see if you can install all of the components Zotero needs to function.