Word Plugin doesnt work

Hey boys and girls,

I've got a problem. Still trying to make my Zatero Word Pluggin working, but it doesn't.
System is Mac OSX 10.7.3 and I'm using safari. I already installed the Safari Pluggin and therefor the Z besides the adressbar is shown. My Office Word is version 2011.

Now the Problem. If i open the downloaded Word Plugin 3.1.5.3 I only got to see the Zotero buttons directly from the Zotero.dot file. If i put this into my location startup folder (Applications/Office/Start/Word) there doesnt happen anything after open word.

What am I doing wrong? How can I install oder make Zotero the right way to see it always??

Thank you so much!!
  • Do you actually have Zotero installed?
    With Zotero Standalone (which you'd presumably use with Safari) the Word processor plugin should be installed as part of the installation.
  • edited April 25, 2012
    Yes. I installed Zotero-3.0.3.dmg by drag and drop to folger Applications. Whats the mistake?
  • start with this:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting?&#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear
  • I followed the whole instructions and the safari connector and zotero work well, but without the word function. I really have no idea how to install "the script"? What is the script? If i open Zotero-MacWord-Plugin-3.5.3.dmg – What shall i do with this content? There is no explained way that works…

Would be awesome if you could help me!
  • The whole point is that you typically don't have to do any of the manually moving files around, installing, etc. that you have been doing.
    You shouldn't open Zotero-MacWord-Plugin-3.5.3.dmg
    You shouldn't even have to download it, as it ships with Zotero Standalone.

I'm also confused by what you mean with the script - the troubleshooting steps I link to say nothing about installing or moving a script. Please follow them precisely, then report back what you are seeing. Check not just for the toolbar, but also in the Apple Script Menu (though in WOrd 2011 you should get both)
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_toolbar_in_word_2008_plugin
  • didnt see the extension button in the zotero app. thank you although!
  • so it's working now?
  • yes it is :-)
    my fault…
  • Hi,

i have a simliar problem as posted here. When I start Word for Mac (14.3.0) I don't see the Toolbar. As Adamsmith posted in a thread (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/20327/zotero-toolbar-missing-in-word-2011/) I checked if zotero.dot is listed under Word's Tools→Templates and Add-ins window. It was not so located it (in /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Start/Word) and I added it. It works for the moment. But with the next start of Word the toolbar is gone. It comes back when I check zotero.dot in the templates window.

Before this workaround I already followed all steps in http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_toolbar_in_word_2008_plugin. I only just installed zotero so all extensions should be up-to-date.

I don't know what to do else... I still can use Zotero by using the apple-script menu in Word but that's not so comfortable.
  • I checked if zotero.dot is listed under Word's Tools→Templates and Add-ins window. It was not so located it (in /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Start/Word) and I added it.
    You should never need to add it manually. If it's in the startup folder it should get loaded automatically—if it doesn't then something's wrong.

Is the path you listed the same one shown at the bottom of Templates and Add-ins?

Have you tried deleting Zotero.dot, closing Word, and reinstalling the plugin via the Zotero preferences?
  • Wait, you said "Start"—is that what you meant, or did you mean "Startup"? "Startup" is the default.
  • It's "Start" which seems to be the default folder in my german Version of Mac Office 2011 since there are folders for Excel and PowerPoint as well.
  • Ah, OK—it's "Startup" in English versions. Try what I suggest above and see if that helps.
  • edited February 19, 2013
    Well, I tried to delete "zotero.dot" from that folder and reinstall the plugin via Zotero. Interestingly Zotero crashed after authorizing the process since i don't work as an administrator. Still nothing changed. The "zotero.dot" was back at its old place and no toolbar. So I tried to do the same with the administrator account. The same problem there. No toolbar. Still not after deleting "zotero.dot" and reinstalling it (without Zotero crashing). The crash doesn't seem to have anything to do with the problem.

But still, there is no toolbar in Word. It works if I manually add "zotero.dot" and afterwards check it everytime I start Word. Should "zotero.dot" be permanently checked in the Templates and Add-ins window?
  • Do you have Zotero 3.0.14? There was a bug that could cause crashing on Word plugin installation in Zotero 3.0.13, but I think I fixed it.
  • I updated to 3.0.14 and reinstalled the plugin. It didn't crash but there is still no toolbar in Word.
  • Check these instructions

http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#toolbar_does_not_appear_in_word_20042011_or_is_incompatible

Are the script menu entries for Zotero available? Also, check the menu View -> Toolbars. Is Zotero listed and is it checked?
  • Thanks for the link. I already followed these instructions. The zotero.dot is in the right folder (/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Start/Word).
    The Scripts are in two folders
    /Users/Nutzer/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Word Script Menu Items/Zotero
    and
    /Users/Nutzer/Documents/Microsoft-Benutzerdaten/Word Script Menu Items/Zotero (it's a german version)

The Scripts are thus available over the apple script menu in Word. I can use them. It is just not very comfortable. There is no entry zotero listed in View -> Toolsbars. And there is no zotero.dot listed in the Templates and Add-ins window unless I add it by myself. But even then I have to check it every time I start Word.
  • If you put some other add-on's .dot (I don't any off-hand, but maybe you can find some innocuous one) into that folder, is it enabled automatically? It'd be good to know if this is specific to Zotero.dot or a more general issue with your Word installation.
  • (In the meantime, while we're trying to figure this out, note that there are keyboard shortcuts for the script menu items, though you might still find those rather uncomfortable.)
  • Indeed it's a word problem. I manually added the folder "startup" and added "Word/zotero.dot" and now it works :) Thanks.
  • edited February 16, 2014
    I just installed Zotero on a fresh system and faced the same problem as last year. I again had to create the folder "startup" in (/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/)
    I just wanted to post this, maybe it can be fixed in future versions of the Word-Plugin (If that is even possible - might be a Word problem as well)

I use OS X 10.7.5, Word for Mac 14.3.9 (131030), Zotero 4.0.17 and the latest Word-Plugin (should be 3.5.7 - there is no info in the Zotero App but I just reinstalled it...). And it's a german system - Mac OS and Word.

Maybe this can be fixed...
  • Hello! I have also a problem with compatibility word and zotero standalone.

I use zotero 5.0.22 and word for mac 15.15.
    I installed zotero standalone and the tried to install the plug-in for word. But in Word, I cannot find Addins (Where zotero-buttons are normally to find) anymore.

Please help soon, I need zotero for writing my thesis. Thank you a lot.
  • Update Word. This works much smoother with the most recent version, 15.38