PMCID (Pub Med Central ID)-required for NIH grants

The NIH will soon be requiring a new PMCID (Pub Med Central ID) that Zotero isn't picking up right now.

"As of May 25, 2008, when citing an article in NIH applications, proposals, and progress reports that falls under the Policy, and was authored or co-authored by you or arose from your NIH award, you must include the PubMed Central reference number (PMCID). This policy includes applications submitted to the NIH for the May 25, 2008 due date and subsequent due dates." -- http://publicaccess.nih.gov/FAQ.htm

Note that this PMCID is not the same thing as the PMID (Pub Med ID). I just looked up an article called "A modulatory role for facial expressions in prosopagnosia" in Pub Med Central, http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov. To even SEE the PMCID, I had to find the citation, then click "Links," then choose "PubMed." Then, over in the lower right hand corner of the record, in modest gray print, is the all-important, legally required PMCID - in this case, it's PMC240752. The article icon did appear next to the article's URL, and most fields of the record, including the PMID, entered my Zotero database smoothly and correctly, but alas, the PMCID did not make it into the record.

I would suggest - others more knowledgeable may disagree - but I'd want to see that PMCID going into the DOI field. Since all the PMCID's start with "PMC," they'd be identifiable as PMCID's to humans. Or it could just go in the "extras" field if need be. I guess the other alternative would be to add the field "PMCID" to the article template in Zotero.

At any rate, and especially in view of the looming NIH requirement, it would be very helpful to find a way to get the PMCID pulled into Zotero somehow.
  • The PubMed Central translator now scrapes the PMCID as well. This push went out yesterday, so your translators will automatically update within 24 hours, or you can update them now via the Preferences pane in Zotero.

Because many of the articles hosted by PubMed Central have DOI numbers as well, the PMCID now appears in the 'extra' field of the saved item.
  • Although the PubMed Central translator is scraping the PMCID, the PubMed translator is not (PMCID's are now listed in PubMed in addition to PMID's). It would be a big advantage if the PubMed translator could capture these data as well so that records could contain both the PMID and the PMCID. Also, I use PubMed (and not PubMed Central) for most of my searching, so I think this would help quite a few folks. Thanks.