how to enter all the references of a single article/paper to zotero?

so many times i add a article to zotero and need to use the references used in that article which are to the tune of 100.. is there a way zotero can add all the references of a single article ( that the article uses) to its gallery on its own??? coz otherwise i have to search for each citation used in the artcle and add it independently.
  • No. There are so many different citations styles that making something like this in a reliable way is nearly impossible. If the articles do have DOI links, then clicking on each link and then importing each article separately should be fairly quick, though.

Also, you would need to go to the databases to get the article PDS anyway. (You would not want to cite things blindly, would you?) If you have the PDFs already, then you can just drag and drop these on Zotero and do "Retrieve metadata" for all of them.
  • most of the article citations dont have DOI links... also some articles that are quoted are too old to find PDF's.... and sometimes even blind quoting also makes sense... searching each separately and then adding takes a long long time....
    any shortcuts???
  • You could try to find the paper that has the reference list from a cross citation database and import the list of references from there. (E.g. ISI, Scopus, etc)
  • I can't let the statement "... and sometimes even blind quoting also makes sense... " stand without a challenge. It is dishonest to do this. Citing "hollow references" is never a good idea. A citation is a statement that an author of a manuscript affirms that another author has published something that supports a statement in the manuscript. How can you know that unless you have read the article? What if the cited author also had not read the article and got it wrong? Indeed, there are many examples of authors who were respected until they have cited something as supporting their position when the original did not. At my university, hollow ctiations are considered academic fraud -- equal to plaigerism -- and this carries severe consequences for students and faculty alike.
  • there is this:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/importing_formatted_bibliographies
    but generally what mronkko says practically and what DWL says ethically.
  • thank you scopus , dwl-sdca, and adam smith...
    @DWL- i totally agree with you... but i will give you an example of what i meant...( Eg. suppose there is a technique called DSL technique which DSL brought out in 1901 in a journal,, then there is this one article by XYZ doing a literature review on DSL technique which quotes the DSL article... now when i am doing a article where i need to mention the DSL technique and i cant find the original DSL article but i do have the XYZ aticle.. then going by XYZ article and unable to find DSL article, i would like to cite DSL article in addition to XYZ article where i mention it... then the XYZ article references which has the citation of DSL comes to good use.. and thats the reason of starting this post...)and i disagree with u on plagiarism being equal to hollow article... plagriarism is much worse... its like taking credit for work and facts which is reality is someone else's... while with a hollow article you dont take any false credit....
  • I set out my ethical and other arguments in more detail here:

http://www.safetylit.org/theses/LawrenceDW-2008.pdf

See pp. 29-33 (42-45 of the pdf).