Sync Preview Now Available

• edited July 8, 2008
    I made a new firefox profile and copied my zotero folder to its zotero-folder. Zotero (in German) is working and all items are showed, but when choosing "preferences" to register with my forum name an error occurs ("not defined entity"):

XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: Nicht definierte Entität
    Adresse: chrome://zotero/content/preferences/preferences.xul
    Zeile Nr. 330, Spalte 2: <prefpane id="zotero-prefpane-styles"
    --------^

The error report id is 1164885481.

I also had the debug output turned on, but I don't know what to do with it.

(In my standard profile Zotero works well, including preferences.)
  • I'm having the same problems
    error report id: 1490813012
  • Do note that not only the database structure is updated, but also the way the attachments are organized in the /storage subfolder. It would be good to mention this on the Sync Preview page.

Because syncing of attachments is not yet implemented I expected that nothing would happen to the storage subfolder, but the files are reorganized and I get an extra folder 'orphaned files'.
  • edited July 8, 2008
    While upgrading an empty database on another system (created simply by pointing Zotero to another storage folder), I got the error reported under # 261132025. Basically 'file not found' it seems, but it doesn't tell which file.

Deleting the empty database fixed the problem, causing the Sync Preview version to make its own tabula rasa.
  • The Sync Alpha version that was beta-tested was not in sync with the 1.0 trunk (some bugs were still there that were already fixed on the trunk). What about this Sync Preview version? Does it have everything that 1.0.6 has plus syncing, or is it again a spinoff to be reunited later?
  • edited July 8, 2008
    I made a new firefox profile and copied my zotero folder to its zotero-folder. Zotero (in German) is working and all items are showed, but when choosing "preferences" to register with my forum name an error occurs ("not defined entity")
    You'll need to switch your sync profile to English to test the Sync Preview. Type about:config into the Firefox address bar, look for general.useragent.locale, set it to en-US, and restart Firefox.

It may only be necessary to do that to access the preferences, so you might be able to reset the pref after entering your password.

We'll add this to the documentation page.
  • Thanks Dan, it works now.
    And another big thank you to all Zoteroists for making this new feature available!
  • Do note that not only the database structure is updated, but also the way the attachments are organized in the /storage subfolder. It would be good to mention this on the Sync Preview page.
    We've added a note to the page.

Zotero also generates a zotero.moved-files report in the profile folder mapping the old directory names to the new ones.
  • The Sync Alpha version that was beta-tested was not in sync with the 1.0 trunk (some bugs were still there that were already fixed on the trunk). What about this Sync Preview version? Does it have everything that 1.0.6 has plus syncing, or is it again a spinoff to be reunited later?
    The Sync Preview should be up-to-date with the 1.0 branch as of yesterday, though there's a possibility that one or two patches were missed in the merge.
  • While upgrading an empty database on another system (created simply by pointing Zotero to another storage folder), I got the error reported under # 261132025. Basically 'file not found' it seems, but it doesn't tell which file.
    Looks like the upgrade fails if a 'storage' directory doesn't exist. We'll fix this, but creating an empty 'storage' directory (or just creating a fresh DB in 1.5, as you noted) should do the trick.
  • Creating a "storage" directory on the second computer (without the original/copy zotero library) made this work for me. I synced successfully from Mac OS 10.5 to WinXP.

This is so stinking awesome! Now I'm off to ponder how this might be deployed in a public computing lab sort of situation...
  • Report ID: 730404131
    and 874802583 (second try),
    and 1601601941 (third try with debug on).

Shutdown Firefox. Made a backup of zotero dir and zotero.sqlite. Restarted Firefox, installed http://www.zotero.org/download/zotero-1.5-sync1.xpi.
    Restarted Firefox. Dialog told me the database would be upgraded, I clicked next, after a few minutes processing it failed with the error:

"TypeError: oldIDs.map is not a function".

Firefox still starts. Zotero won't start (caution ! triangle).
    I have a debug log if anyone wants it.
  • ajperry: Thanks for the report. Fixed in the trunk.
  • Thanks, works now !
  • I've set my user/pass (i.e. forums user/pass) in the sync tab of preferences and then hit sync. The error triangle comes up over my sync icon and the message is "invalid response from server". I've verified my user/pass by logging into forums. Not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?
  • The error triangle comes up over my sync icon and the message is "invalid response from server"
    Check to see if you have a tag longer than 256 characters. If so, shorten it.
  • I deleted all of the longer than three word tags and still the same message "invalid response from server"
  • I deleted all of the longer than three word tags and still the same message "invalid response from server"
    You might need to create a new item and delete it to force a purge of obsolete tags.
  • This feature is really, and I mean really, cool. I faked the missing storage synchronization with rsync and could already sense the power this will bring.
  • That worked like a charm. Now I'm officially synced with the zotero server, fabulous!
    Thanks so much Dan!
  • I'm getting an error while syncing a library (copied from a 1.0.6 installation). Syncing to the server goes okay from one copy of Firefox. Getting it from the server from another copy doesn't work. ErrorID: 462652855
  • Using trunk (1.5a1r3024), I got an error, pasted below, on first sync attempt. It relates to an item that had a stupidly long (automatic) tag.

Cheers, CB.

zotero(3): Server error (c87e3fc5ae)
    Error: Data too long for column 'name' at row 1
    Query: INSERT INTO globalTags SET globalTagID=?, name=?
    Params: Array
    (
    [0] =>
    [1] => free online scholarship, fos, free, access, open access, open-access, scholarly communica
    tion, research, publication, scholarship, science, commons, information, information commons, journa
    ls, archives, archiving, repositories, Budapest Open Access Initiative, Public Library of Science, f
    reedom of speech, academic freedom, free software, open source, copyright, licensing, fair use, eboo
    ks, digital libraries, metadata
    )
    I
  • CB: Yup. See above.
  • Oops, yes, sorry.
  • Rintze: Make sure you're not using a database from the Sync Alpha. Databases created in the Sync Alpha aren't usable in the Sync Preview.
  • After changing the language my synch with the server works. Will try it out with another computer (at home) in the nearest future.

Thanks so much for working on this feature.
  • i am having trouble syncing. there is a triangle over the sync icon and it says Invalid username. my name is the same one that appears here, 'dice.thrown', and everything is set in the preferences/sync tab. any suggestions?
  • there is a triangle over the sync icon and it says Invalid username. my name is the same one that appears here, 'dice.thrown'
    The period in your username isn't allowed in the Sync Preview.

(This is complicated by the fact that the forums use usernames as display names and therefore allow most characters, whereas usernames on the server will be separate from display names and therefore be more restrictive. We allowed spaces and numbers in the Sync Preview for compatibility with forums names but didn't think to add periods.)
  • so that means i need a new user name, yeah?
  • For now, yes, I'm afraid so. You don't need a new account—just a different username.
This discussion has been closed.