there was an error starting zotero

Yeah, I know there have been multiple posts on this topic, but I haven't found one that addresses my problem. I get the message above when I try to load the plugin. My system: I'm using firefox 3.0 on an ubuntu hardy box, 32bit architecture. (Sidenote: zotero worked fine on the same box with the previous ubuntu distro and firefox 2). This is not a dual boot system.

If anyone knows how to launch a firefox plugin from term in a verbose way so that I might diagnose this better, that would be a help too. thanks.
  • Try these suggestions.
    If anyone knows how to launch a firefox plugin from term in a verbose way so that I might diagnose this better, that would be a help too.
    http://www.zotero.org/documentation/debug_output
  • Thanks (again) Dan. Here are the relevant messages error console gives me:
    --------------
    Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Error: Zotero is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/browser.js
    Line: 758

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/overlay.xul
    Line: 421

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/itemPane.js
    Line: 51
    -----------
    Any ideas?

Matt
  • Did you try deleting the various files mentioned in the other thread?

What's the debug output?
  • The debug output from term wasn't very illuminating. It simply repeated twice that there was an I/O error. As for deleting the files mentioned in the thread above, I didn't reset the useDataDir pref so assumed this is not applicable to me. Correct?
  • edited June 25, 2008
    What was the exact error it displayed?

Also, try deleting those files.
  • Sorry for the delay in responding--hectic week. I tried deleting those files, but no change. Here is the output I just got. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to replicate that I/O output that I got before, but here's what I did get:

matt@Ogodei:/usr/bin$ firefox-3.0
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetMIMEDescription
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetMIMEDescription return
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue: returning plugin name.
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue return
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue: returning plugin description.
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue return

I don't know if this helps, but I do appreciate your help.

Matt
  • still having problems--thanks...
  • Please try installing the latest 1.0 dev XPI, which should offer better debugging of startup errors, over 1.0.6. You may need to delete compreg.dat and xpti.dat again.
  • Thanks. I just decided to upgrade to ubuntu 8.04.1 and now there are no problems with zotero. Not sure where the error was coming from, but problem solved for me at least.
  • edited July 8, 2008
    In my default Firefox 3 profile, I was running the 1.0.x Development XPI. I was on 1.0.6.rsomething but am able to duplicate the issue below now using 1.0.7.r2998.

I followed the instructions for installing the 1.5 preview: I copied my zotero folder from my default profile to my new "Sync Testing" profile and when I started up Firefox with the new profile, it reports an exception when attempting to upgrade the database:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.directoryEntries]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js :: _migrateUserDataSchema :: line 1583" data: no]

In my default 1.0.x profile I didn't use my own data directory. I've removed compreg.dat, xpti.dat, extensions.ini, extensions.cache, and extensions.rdf from my "Sync Testing" profile but this exception is duplicatable every time.

The Report ID I sent was #2054892952

Below is output from the bottom of the debug window on a subsequent attempt.
    --SET

[extra output removed]
  • stoub: Looks like the 1.5 upgrade fails if a 'storage' directory doesn't exist. We'll fix this, but creating an empty storage directory in the data directory should do the trick.

Other 1.5 errors should be reported in the Sync Preview forum.
  • Confirmed. Thanks!