Create new category for documents like working papers, research briefs, etc.

Hi,

I'm a frequent user of Zotero standalone for Mac and I miss a particular feature.

Everytime I want to save a working paper, a research brief, a presentation or any kind of similar unpublished, but specifically academic material (congress proceedings suddenly also falls into my mind!) in Zotero I find myself going over the catalogue of document types a few times before settling for the most simple one, i.e. that of "document".

But the number of informations that can be saved if I choose "document" is very limited. There's no room for important informations such as: institution, number of pages, place, etc.

Could the Zotero team please create new templates for the types of documents I mentioned above - or at least expand the number of informations available for the category "document"?

Thank you very much and… for making Zotero a free software!

Best,
Yvan
  • we recommend "report" for working papers. That's what e.g. SSRN or NBER working papers save as and that's also what citation styles assume.

(in general I wouldn't recommend using document).
  • Hi!
    I also use "report" to archive working papers, but I also think that it would be useful to have an item type "Working Paper" by itself. The item type list available in Zotero contains almost any category we can ascribe to a document (and thank you for that!), except for... WP. Could you please consider include that in a future version? Many thanks!
    Cristina
  • @mcom:
    In considering changes to item types and fields, it is important to remember that item types in Zotero are best understood as a set of fields and a set of ways they tend to be styled. That means that the best argument for new fields or types is that a certain type of data or citation is presently impossible to represent in Zotero.
    (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15636/1/changes-to-fields-and-item-types-for-zotero-31-/ )
  • @Gracile

Actually, WP are possible to represent in Zotero even if it isn't totally accurate using report to do it. Thanks!