Site translator for espacenet not working correctly

Hi,

The last discussion on this topic has been closed after the last fix of the translator. So I have to start a new one.

Principally the translator works. There are two things which for me work not correctly
- some meta data are not transfered (applicant, country, classification, the URL, patent number)
- some data are only transfered sometimes and sometimes not. I do not know, why this happen or if it's only a problem I have. But I have it, sometimes.

When I use the same translator for the same patent on espacenet, it could be that I get different entries in zotero. Sometimes the inventors are missing, sometimes the application number or the priority number...

Has anybody the same problem?

SiGi
  • please provide sample URLs for items that do not import properly.
  • Sorry for the long delay.

Here I have some links, which do not import properly (for me).

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&II=9&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=de_EP&FT=D&date=19890601&CC=AU&NR=2814389A&KC=A

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?DB=EPODOC&II=0&ND=3&adjacent=true&locale=de_EP&FT=D&date=20121018&CC=US&NR=2012265111A1&KC=A1
  • This should now be fixed. You can wait for the translator to update automatically within 24 hours or update manually via Preferences -> General -> Update Now.

Please report any remaining problems.
  • The espacenet translator works quite faboulous. It extracts even metadata including the ipc-classes and ecla-classes (since 2013 changed to cpc - common patent classes - jointly developed by the EPO and the USPTO as common patent classification). Thanks for the good work!

However, the translator is apperently still (or again?) not able to extract the "real" patent number, i.e. the publication number, that is supposed to go in the "patent number" entry in Zotero (Zotero fieldname: patentNumber). At the same time, this is the only patent "identification" number, that Zotero maps to a CSL-field (CSL field name: number).

I don't know if it's possible to extract the publication number, it is listed in espacenets database entries besides the word "bibliographic data: " (German: "Bibliografische Daten:"; French: "Données bibliographiques:"

As an example an espacenet entry of a patent titled: "Process for the production of fruit and berry jam and marmalade with programmed taste"

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?locale=en_EP&II=0&FT=D&CC=MD&DB=EPODOC&NR=123Y&date=20100129&ND=3&KC=Y&adjacent=true

The publication number is "MD123(Y)", where "MD" is the country code (Rep. of Moldova) and "Y" is the kind code (granted short term patent in this case).

Also, as mentioned above, the URL to the espacenet database entry is not passed to Zotero. It is listed besides the word "page bookmark" in an espacenet database entry of a patent.

It would be really nice, if the translator could get aditionally the publication number and maybe the URL into zotero.

Thank you.
    Robert
  • The translator now gets the patent number.

Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences.

I'm not sure whether we want the URL in the url field - if we do it's straightforward, but it will typically be included in citations as a result - is that right?
    (Espacenet does have the full patent document, so I don't have any general objection against including the URL as a link to the full text).
  • It works like a charm, the patent number now is now neatly put into the patentNumber entry in Zotero. Thank you very much, adamsmith.

[quote]I'm not sure whether we want the URL in the url field - if we do it's straightforward, but it will typically be included in citations as a result - is that right?
    (Espacenet does have the full patent document, so I don't have any general objection against including the URL as a link to the full text). [/quote]

You're propably right, I can imagine, that not everybody would want to have the URL in the citation. It would depend on the CSL-style used, though. I'm fine with the status quo.

Thank you again.
    Robert
  • I'll leave the URL out for now. If someone finds its commonly cited for patents I'm happy to change that.