Request for a MARC21 style

Hello,
Would it be possible to create a MARC21 citation style? I noticed that some years ago you mentioned that this was not one of your top priorities, but I wondered if by now you might consider it, as I also noticed that MARC is one of Zotero's import formats. We have a Zotero library of some 2,000 references we need to import into our library catalogue. They are not very detailed. I would be willing to help or advise in any way.
Thank you.
  • This would be a huge time investment. Couldn't you export to MODS and convert to MARC or so?
  • I don't see any MODS -> MARC converters at first glance, but since catalogs don't generally use MARC as the native, internal format, the catalog software should probably have support for MODS import as well. If not, you may be able to develop a converter using http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods2marc-mapping.html -- but it won't be terribly clean.
  • Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Do you have any future plans at all to develop a MARC citation style?
    By the way, most library catalogues do use MARC as their internal format though perhaps not in database structure terms.
  • It seems very unlikely that anyone here will write MARC export. What catalog are you working with that doesn't have MODS support?

You can try this XSL: http://www.loc.gov/standards/marcxml/xslt/MODS2MARC21slim.xsl

It's supposed to convert MODS to MARCXML, which really, really ought to be able to be imported into your catalog. And MARCXML definitely can be converted into binary MARC data.
  • It seems very unlikely that anyone here will write MARC export.
    that said, the coding expertise required for this is relatively limited - mostly basic javascript - it's mainly a lot of tedious work, so this could certainly be done by a third party - e.g. an interested librarian or a paid contractor and we'd happily accept it into Zotero.
  • Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if something useful comes out of our project.