Open pdf in external acrobat adobe reader and open multiple pdf's at one time

Is it possible to open pdf in external acrobat adobe reader and open multiple pdf's at one time. It does seem to open in adobe reader but I can't use the full adobe reader features including maximizing the window or do any annotation. Also whenever I click on a different entry in my library, the file is opened in the same window and the previous pdf file is closed. Can I open multiple files at one time?
  • See the extensions.zotero.launchNonNativeFiles hidden pref. (Either way, you can open multiple PDFs at once by right-clicking on them and selecting "View PDF". With that setting disabled, you can also hold down one of the standard Firefox link modifier keys when selecting "View PDF" from the Locate menu to open a single file in a new tab/window.)
  • Isn't there also an option "Open in External Viewer" in the right-click context menu? Or is that one of the plugins I'm using?
  • Open in External Viewer isn't in the right-click context menu. Actually because I imported my library from Endnote, so it's just a URL link instead of an actual file. Also I'm using Standalone. So I don't know if there's a way to do it. Thank you!
  • Oh, yeah, there is now. So soljiang, if you don't want to make that setting permanent, you can open specific PDFs (including multiple ones) externally on-demand.
  • but it's a link to a file on your harddisk? Or to a file online?
  • I believe "Open in External Viewer" is only in Zotero for Firefox, since everything in Standalone opens externally.

But if you just have links, those are going to open in your web browser.
  • To a file on my harddisk.
    I don't mind making that setting permanently, but how? What do you mean by "on-demand"?
  • edited May 8, 2012
    I missed that this is Standalone, so none of the above is actually relevant. But if these are links, they're just going to open in your web browser.
  • You can still open multiple at once by right-clicking and choosing "View Snapshot" (in which case they'll open in new tabs in your web browser), but Standalone can't open links in Acrobat directly, since as far as it's concerned they're just URLs like any other.
  • Just for the way I exported the library from Endnote, the link to the file on my harddisk is in URL section. What happens now is that when I double click on the entry in main window, it opens the pdf but I can't open multiple ones, only one at a time.
  • See my previous post.
  • (for the record - for actual PDFs, "Open in External Viewer" exists in Standalone as well).
  • Oh, never mind. I just updated Zotero and I can achieve by right click open in external viewer.
    You guys are so quick on updates. Awesome! Thank you so much!
  • The program just reminded me update to new version is available five minutes ago! :D What a coincidence. Thank you!
  • (for the record - for actual PDFs, "Open in External Viewer" exists in Standalone as well).
    Really? It doesn't for me, for imported URL PDFs or imported file PDFs. I just have "View PDF". "Open in External Viewer" should be redundant with that.
  • I just tried - I get that options for all PDFs. Might be linux (me) vs. Mac?
  • I only have that option after I updated to the newest version just now. The newest version is working perfectly for me. Thank you.
  • can i open 2 windows of zotero? with 2 different directory?
  • i tried to export my data on zotero using all the export-import methods in zotero, but when i import the data, there is always some data missing, like there is no proceedings title or conference name or the notes are missing, etc. so, can you please tell me which method can i use to export the data and have all the data imported completely? thanx before.
  • Fitri: please start a new thread. This is a separate problem.
  • "I just tried - I get that options for all PDFs. Might be linux (me) vs. Mac?"

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04, i.e. linux, and also do not have "Open in External Viewer" in Zotero Standalone. I would be great if I could choose the editor on a case-by-case basis, both in Zotero Standalone or Plugin. Does anyone have an idea how to get it to work?
  • which version of standalone? Have you tried this with a PDF specifically?
  • It is version 3.0.11.1 and I'm told that there are no updates available. Yes, I was right-clicking on a pdf, but out of desperation, I also tried other file types with the same results. I am also using the Plugin Zotfile, could this have an influence?
  • UPDATE: After de-activating the plugin Zotfile, the problem persists. No "Open in External viewer" in sight when right-clicking on a pdf-file in Zotero standalone.
  • what to the top three items of the context menu say?
    Is the file linked or attached?
  • edited January 28, 2013
    Hi,

I also am looking for option/way to open pdfs from standalone in Acrobat/foxit reader. Just to give you all an idea. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and have installed Foxit reader for pdfs. It is set as default application to open PDFs in Ubuntu and Firefox both. When I open a pdf Firefox-zotero by right click and 'View pdf' option it is opened in Foxit. But when I use standalone and try to open by right click and selecting 'View pdf' than it is open in 'Evince' which comes with Ubuntu even if its not a system default for pdf, default is Foxit.

Forgot to mention that I am using Zotero standalone v.3.0.11.1 and there are no more updates available.

Need your suggestions.

Thanks

Atul
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/file_handling_issues#pdfs_opening_in_wrong_application_on_gnulinux_systems

see if those suggestions help
  • I am using Zotero 5.0.22 on a Windows 8.1 system. Here's what worked for me:
    1. On the Zotero pane, right click on a PDF file.
    2. Click "Show File", it will show the file location in Zotero storage.
    3. Right click on the file, select "Open with"
    4. Click "Choose default program" and select the preferred program

Hope this works for you too.