Problem with storage account renewal

Hello,

I have sent multiple emails to storage@digitalscholar.org without a response, so I figured I would give posting here a chance.

I paid for an annual subscription for 1GB of Zotero storage in June, but instead of giving me one year, it says my subscription will be up in September.

I previously had a paid storage subscription that ran out last September (2011). I did not choose to renew at that time. Upon renewing in June, it has still kept my old expiration date instead of generating a new one.

How can I remedy this situation?
  • Hello,
    I have also written to Storage@... and Sean Takats and have yet to have a reply.

I am not clear how to renew nor if my account will be deleted (among other issues).

Please can you take care of this issue?
  • Hi 101James and bcarofino
    Did you get any response to your issues. I have also been getting emails from a 'Sean Takats' saying that my account with Zotero is going to expire in 5 days time if I do not renew it, it will be frozen and then deleted! When I check my account page it says that it is auto-renewal and the next date of renewal is in June 2014.

I have been sending emails to storage@zotero and to this 'Sean Takats' but have not received any reply.

Anyone know what is going on? I am very worried. Please help. Thank you
  • fcheslack or Sean - who is Zotero's director - will have to take a look at what's wrong here, because clearly what you're seeing shouldn't happen, but to avoid misunderstandings: all that would be "frozen" and then "deleted" are the attachments synced to the Zotero server. Zotero accounts are free - as is regular data syncing - so neither of those would ever be affected by a failure to renew a Zotero storage contract. Any attachments in your local copy of Zotero would also be unaffected).
  • edited July 1, 2013
    Thanks very much adamsmith. That is a relief to know. I have nearly 800 citations in there and cant afford to lose them. This is the most recent email I got (which looks like a copy of the earlier one)

----- Forwarded Message -----
    From: Digital Scholar Renewals <renewals@digitalscholar.org>
    To:
    Sent: Sunday, 30 June 2013, 19:20
    Subject: Zotero Storage Expiring

Hello, Storage for Zotero Subscriber!

Your Collaborative Storage for Zotero subscription will expire in 5 days. To renew your subscription, please visit your Zotero storage settings page (https://zotero.org/settings/storage).

If your storage usage currently exceeds the free limit of 300 MB, and you do not renew your subscription within the next 5 days, your account will become locked. A locked account will not allow any syncing of new files. If you fail to renew within the first thirty days after locking, stored files in excess of the free limit will be deleted, in accordance with our terms of service (http://www.digitalscholar.org/z_terms).

To avoid any interruption of service, please renew today!

Best regards,
    Sean Takats
    Corporation for Digital Scholarship
  • edited July 1, 2013
    The email is correct. You just have two accounts, both with storage subscriptions. The storage subscription for the account you're posting from, which has all your items and files, is set to expire in 2014. The subscription for the other one, which has no items synced to it, is set to expire in 5 days.

In your current account you're above the previous free quota of 100MB and below the current free quota of 300MB.
  • Thanks very much Dan for clearing up the confusion. I set up this account some time back when I was originally exploring Zotero. Never realised it is still 'alive'.
  • My own gripe is somewhat different than the above: I got an email (the first and only) today with subject line "Zotero Storage Expiring" but whose text body said, to my horror, "Your...Zotero subscription has expired"! No warning. Now I have no access to my references and materials until our department secretary gets in after spring break to pay for the renewal. Bad form -- why didn't I get a "warning" message a few days in advance, as jntan7 did?
  • Obviously you should have gotten such a message - and I suspect you did and it ended up in your spam - but even with expired storage you should still have access to all your materials - have you tried? Most certainly they're still available in your local copy of Zotero, but even online I don't believe expired storage bars access. It just prevents new materials from being added and eventually (after 1 month or more) may delete the _online copy_ of files.