Style Generator

• Thanks lemaxx I know what it should look like in the CSL I just want to be able to manage it in the style generator.

Johan
  • it's ok the script update

so if you want manage number of authors in citation you must:
    -in citation part
    * set the "Minimum authors to activate et-al in citation"
    witch active et al
    * set the "How many authors include before et-al in citation" witch determine how many authors must appear in citation

-in bibliography you set
    * Minimum authors to activate et-al
    * How many authors include before et-a to set how many authors in bibliography

but the bibliography part must be set to activate the citation part
  • thank you very much for writing this great generator. i was looking for this a long time!

getting the csl into zotero worked fine for me, but unfortunately, my bibliography at the end of a document does not show up in alphabetical order, but rather in random one (or some way of sorting I don't know).

I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the generator, but other citation styles do work.

can anyone help?
  • I just spent an hour working on a style I needed. Thanks so much for doing this.

1. I use articles, web sites, books, book chapters, blog posts, etc. Can you make it so that I can write a really long one?

2. I need a field for book title in addition to chapter title. Zotero has gazillions of fields. Can you write code that will allow me to pick up any that I need?

3.The citation style I was using is different for periodicals in which every issue starts with page 1 and those for which every volume starts with page 1. So I think there are more levels of exceptions to deal with. Is that too big a challenge?

Thanks so much!
  • edited June 22, 2008
    1. I use articles, web sites, books, book chapters, blog posts, etc. Can you make it so that I can write a really long one?
    This isn't at all clear.
    2. I need a field for book title in addition to chapter title. Zotero has gazillions of fields. Can you write code that will allow me to pick up any that I need?
    CSL has a different -- more generic -- model than Zotero. There's no such field as "chapter title" or "book title." I think you need to learn more about CSL before you ask for detailed features like these. Perhaps there's a way for the editing UI to help there; not sure.
    3.The citation style I was using is different for periodicals in which every issue starts with page 1 and those for which every volume starts with page 1. So I think there are more levels of exceptions to deal with. Is that too big a challenge?
    Yes. How is software to know how a journal is paginated?
  • lemaxx yes but what I want in the generator is a way to set different values for the citation part and the bibliography part

Johan
  • The new version is really great work!!
    Their are, however, a couple of things which would make the tool much easier:
    1) A preview of the item in the bibliography would be amazing!
    2) An way to avoid that one has to enter everything again for an exception. Usually it is the case that the author and year are displayed in the same way regardless whether it is an article or a book. So the general style could be used to a reference for exceptions.
    (An easier way to navigate between the exceptions would also be very useful, e.g. tabs).
    3) The possibility to display existing styles in the style generate.

Best
  • Asplundj you can: (i hope i understand that you need)
    for example in citation you want 1 author and in bibliography you want 3

in the citation part of the generator you configure et-al citation with:

Minimum authors to activate et-al in citation :2 (for example in this case you want only 1 author)
    How many authors include before et-al in citation: 1

in the bibliography part of the generator you configure et-al with:

Minimum authors to activate et-al :4 (for example)
    How many authors include before et-al : 3

I hope i'm clear.

Greg
    The preview is now too complex and need a lot of time.
    For the exception i'm agree and i work on it.
    For the existing styles in first step the user will have in next version to choose between 6 generic models
  • edited June 25, 2008
    Well that doesn't work for me

When I put 3 / 1 in the citation part 15 / 15 in the bibliography part I get the following

citation>
    option name="et-al-min" value="15"/>
    option name="et-al-use-first" value="1"/>
    option name="et-al-subsequent-min" value="3"/>
    option name="et-al-subsequent-use-first" value="1"/>

bibliography>
    option name="et-al-min" value="15"/>
    option name="et-al-use-first" value="15"/>

But I want:

option name="et-al-min" value="3"/>
    option name="et-al-use-first" value="1"/>
    option name="et-al-subsequent-min" value="3"/>
    option name="et-al-subsequent-use-first" value="1"/>
  • Yes it's normal and the style will work fine
    if you look for example the "American Political Science Association" style the option name="et-al-min" value is like the style generator.

When you use the generator does the style made is working?
  • Hello, I was wondering if you ever tried to insert the ISBN as a value?
    Thanks for all your work on this.
  • edited June 25, 2008
    @lemaxx

thanks for this great tool.

It took me a while finding it (the link on the zotero page still takes you to the previous version). I have spend some hours now trying to get the style I need (Journal of Consumer Research).

I have encountered the following problems:

1. the delimeter between author and date: apparently, you cannot insert a space in here. The result is that author and date look like this: author2008.

2. In the bibliography, I have a similar problem to the above: the first author needs to be put in the form (last name, first name), the space after the "," however does not appear. The same happens for a list of authors. I am not sure if I have overseen something here since nobody else seems to have encountered the same problem.

3. In the page numbering, I need to skip the first numbers if they are the same: not 124-127, but 124-7. How can I do this if possible?

4. The Journal of Consumer Research requires authors to use the et-al function not with the first time a group of authors is mentioned but starting with the second time. Is there any way to configure this in the code?

5. The generator seems to support only up to two exceptions: e.g. books and websites. Is it possible to enter more than two?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help or solution that anyone might be able to provide for these problems.
  • edited June 25, 2008
    Sorry for bothering you so much. "American Political Science Association" is not what I'm looking for in this one the citation-options is the same as the bibliography-options and that is not what I'm looking for. I want different values for citation and bibliography

see the csl for journal of evolutionary biology or American Sociological Association

Johan
  • For ISBN value i've test it and it work but i must take time to modify the script so ASAP

J2008
    for the delimiter could you give me the name of your style on the generator and if possible the date ?. I want analyses it before

For the page numbering i don't now if it's possible with csl but the generator don(t do that
    Yes in this version only 2 exceptions . I'll change a lot of things in the future (only few in UI) but for this version it's too much work adding more exception sorry. You can add them manually look in zotero documentation.

asplundj

I'm sorry i don't understand with the last update you can manage different value for citation and bibliography.
    In my tests when "option name="et-al-min" " is the same for both there is no problems to have for example 1 author in citation and 6 in bibliography.
  • On ISBNs, as I've mentioned before, think in terms of generic macros like "identifier" and have those specific there (along with DOIs, etc.).
  • Is v1.0 the latest update? cause I can still not manage to get "et-al-min" right.

I would be happy if you could make a csl where you in "citation options" set
    Minimum authors to activate et-al in citation: 3
    How many authors include before et-al in citation: 1

and in the bibliography part set
    Minimum authors to activate et-al: 15
    How many authors include before et-al:15

What do you get then?

for me subsequent citations gets the right configuration but first citation get "et-al-min" from the bibliography setting and "et-al-use-first" from the citation setting
  • @lemaxx

Thanks for the quick reply. The name of my style is: JCR-7-53-06-25-08.csl
    the date should be 26 June.

I will have a look into the Zotero documentation for information about adding more than 2 exceptions as you suggested.

Many thanks!
  • ****************************************************************************************************
    * Jon Rubin
    * CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    I'm most likely missing something obvious here as I've only played around with the new version a bit but how do you get it to put an "and" or "&" between two authors in a simple author-date citation e.g. (Adorno and Horkheimer 1997) all I can get it to do at the mo. is (Adorno Horkheimer 1997).
    *****************************************************************************************************
    I was wondering whether there was a solution to the problem asked by Jon Rubin on the post Jun 3rd 2008? I have the same issue and I cannot seem to have found an answer. How do you place the "&" between two authors in the in-text citation? At the moment my style show (Author1 Author2, 2008) instead of (Author1 & Author2, 2008)
    Thanks for your help.
  • How is the development going?
  • thank you so much for your work! I do need a style generator badly...
    I tried to create a style, and it wouold install and cooperate in OpenWriter. But I need the long dash "—" as a delimiter, and that wouldn't work. Writer shows the Unicode code for this symbol instead. Any ideas?
    I also have a feature request. Could you please add the option of adding the cited page number to the citation? I actually need something like this: [Lacoff: 1999, p.14] or like this [12, p. 14]. Thanks in advance!
  • thank you for your tool. It is absolutely essential to have a reliable tool for the development and modification of styles.

Modifying an existing style might be much more efficient than writing a new one.
    Sometimes Journals differ only in bolding or underscoring parts of references in the list. So it would be nice to copy a (close enough) style and to modify it accordingly.

Would it be possible to modify your tool, allowing for "guided" style editing? If not: Can anybody give a short "how to - easily modify an existing style"?
  • That tool is very great! I'd like to have a copy of my middle column, which is not possible. So I got the advice to try it with your Style Generator. Unfortunatly I need the call number in there and as far as I can see there is no option to do so. Is there any possibility to add that? I know a call number is rather unusual in a citation but that would give the option to have the library in a column like output for a print version.
  • Zotero callNumber is mapped to CSL call-number--If you want you can manually add that field to the CSL file the Style Generator created. You should be able to manually edit the file with any text editor.
  • Hey Tjowens,

thank you very much for your help, but up to know I cant make it run. For some reason FF doesnt exept my editor files as cls any more... It seems I have to get involved in it a littel more. Maybe I'm lucky next time.
  • Once you have edited a file you need to make sure it has the .csl extension. You can then drag it into an open browser window to add it to your list of styles. For more info on working with these do a search for csledit in the Zotero forums.
  • I like the idea of the generator.. need to play with it a little but it would be great if at the bottom of the web page it provided an "example" of the style as it is built so that one can see the results of ones sections.
    A sort of WYSIWYG thing ..

Also, although I have only played for a minute or two, never quite worked out how generate the different citation styles needed for the different options..

ala a Generic overarching style name... alal "NZSM Musicology" with say sub styles within ala cite a Book, Book in a Series, Journal, Web Site, recording, Book Review, etc.

That said I did only play for a few minutes so need to go back and play a lot more
    Seemed to me only the individual styles could be generated which would then need to be compiled into a set.
  • The style generator has worked really well, but for some reason when I open the .csl file, Zotero does not recognise it.

Is there some basic guide to this process for those (such as myself) who aren't familiar with .csl or even xml?

I get as far as loading the new style in firefox, but then get an error message saying "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it".

What should be my next step?
  • There is some documentation available here:

http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/creating_citation_styles

You should probably check whether the generated style consists of proper XML and whether it conforms to the CSL schema.
  • Hi Rintze -

Thanks for the response. I'd read through that already, and it seems to indicate that just by opening the file, Zotero will incorporate it locally.

My generated style works well in the reference test pane, creating exactly what I want.

The trouble is getting my local version of zotero to recognise the file after I've opened it in FF. Is it then supposed to show as a style option in word plugin?

I'm using version 1.07, but not the 1.5 sync preview option - does this have to be in place?

I can paste the first part of the csl file here if it helps.

I really need to get this going - otherwise it means exporting to Endnote simply because it can be configured; I don't want to do that!
  • edited December 22, 2008
    OK. Having just written all of that, I tried saving the csl file locally, then re-opening it, which THEN saved it to zotero. I guess just opening it directly from the generator is not enough (i.e. opening the file in a new tab).

Thanks.