Chrome extension and standalone : PDF, HTML proxy-snapshot issue

Hello,
I'm using the lastest chrome, and lastest Zotero Standalone. It is working well and help me a lot to collect references : when i click on the little icon in the Chrome bar, I get all informations about any academic paper in my stand alone Zotero. But I found out 2 quite important issues:
# 1. PDF not downloading : Zotero StandAlone > Preferences > General > Automatically download PDF [...] : *is* checked. But the PDF simply doesn't download, never. I bypass by downloading myself, then : my item, right clic > Add attachement > Add stored copy of a file. NB: Work fine Firefox 9 + Zotero + same webpage.
# 2. HTML proxy-snapshot not working: I use my university proxy to access ScienceDirect. When I import an article from Chrome to Zotero standalone, it appear the snapshot is a snapshot of my proxy login page ("Please enter your username & password"). For all my articles. It should be a snapshot of the page I'm looking at. NB: Work fine Firefox 9 + Zotero + same webpage, I get the article's HTML.

I'm on Ubuntu, but since it work fine on Firefox, I guess it's not Ubuntu.
The point is, for Chrome + Zotero Standalone, neither the PDF, nor the HTML snapshot are imported, which is quite troublesome. Any tips to fix that ? It will be welcome !
  • See if you get a pdf from here:
    http://jwcn.eurasipjournals.com/content/2011/1/201
    (open access). If you do, this is an issue with your university's proxy - Zotero for FF can address more complex/weird proxy configurations. Chrome will typically download files/snapshots for the most simple proxies -- but with anything else you'll run into problems.
    The one thing that could help is to be more permissive about Cookies in Chrome. If you have a very restrictive cookie setting that could be an issue.
    There is a chance that this will eventually change, but not any time very soon.
  • edited March 14, 2012
    Adam, with http://jwcn.eurasipjournals.com/content/2011/1/201 :
    #1. PDF download: ok.
    #2. HTML Snapshot: ok.
    I have the most permissive cookies & setup I know :
    # in Chrome://settings/content :
    ## Cookies > Allow local data to be set (recommended) ;
    ## Plug-ins > Run automatically (recommended)
    But that still doesn't work in Chrome + Stand alone.

Questions:
    a. If i understand well, the HTML snapshot by Zotero in Chrome is actually a re-download of the url by the standalone which, (like my Incognito Chrome) doesn't have access to my cookies, and so display the login page. Isn't it ?
    So, the solutions:
    b. Why not simply save the current HTML page displayed by Chrome ?
    c. How to get Stand alone loggued in my proxy ?
  • a) That depends on the translator. For most translators we request a very specific page - either the fulltext html display or the abstract - for download, so no, it's not just a re-download.
    b) see a)
    c) as I say - might just not be possible atm.
  • edited March 14, 2012
    Ok: so the stand alone cannot login into the proxy space.
    Adam : Thanks for the feedback, I hope that will also help other people. For myself, I will thus switch back to FF. And thanks for the great work (Zotero !).
  • Just to be clear, though - this isn't a general issue. PDF and Snapshot downloading will work for many users of standalone and Chrome. It comes down to the specifics of the proxy configuration of your institution.
    Simon might be interested in following up, not sure.
  • edited March 14, 2012
    In principle, this should work. Make sure you also have Zotero Connector for Chrome 3.0.3, and if you do, generate a debug ID from Zotero Standalone for a save attempt that doesn't save the PDF or saves the wrong snapshot.
  • Using the latest versions of chrome, zotero standalone and connector.
    I have a related problem: If I add a reference from a journal's website, I get the pdf and snapshot attached automatically.

But if I add a reference from pubmed,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
    the pdf and/or page snapshot don't attach automatically. If I right-click on the entry in zotero and attempt to add the snapshot manually, that doesn't work either.

I tried this with and without my windows firewall running.

Any way to get around this? I don't mind doing it manually in pubmed.
  • since pubmed doesn't have direct links to pdfs, you will never get a pdf attachments on pubmed (you might some day in the future, but that'll require a significant amount of work on our part). Pubmed also doesn't attach snapshots - I think that was a judgment call by the translator coder, no particular reason, but the snapshot wouldn't have much info that's not imported into Zotero anyway (and you have the URL, so you can always get there).

I forgot how to attach snapshots from Chrome to Standalone - I think some version of dragging&dropping the URL (by click+hold on the symbol to the left of the URL)?
  • I have foxit reader. Do I have to have Adobe reader to download pdfs automatically? Can't download the open access file either.
  • automatic download doesn't depend on any PDF reader - start a new thread with more details, please.