Bibliography sorting

Hello. I'm using Zotero 3.0.11 in MS Word. I'm using Chicago (note) style. When I click on the add-in button to insert the bibliography the entries are sorted by author and then those that do not have an author are sorted separately by title. So I have two alphabetical lists, one right after another. How can I make it so they are sorted together?
  • We'd need to make sure what Chicago style actually requires, but then it needs to be fixed in the style itself. If you can track down the relevant passage from the CMoS that'd speed things up.
  • I'm going by Turabian's book on CMoS, 7th ed., which says on page 149 "If a source does not have a named author or editor, alphabetize it based on the first element of the citation." It says nothing about alphabetizing it separately from the authors.
  • yeah, I think that's supported by CMoS 14.79 I'll do that asap.
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)
    Any further problems please let us know.
  • Very cool, thanks!
  • I know this thread is old, but I am facing the same problem GaryDickson had. Help! I have updated to the most recent version of Turabian in the style repository but my author listed items as well as my non-author (title only) items are showing up separately, with all the authors listed alphabetically first and then all the titles. According to Turabian (8th ed) 16.2.2.1 (page 152), "if a source does not have a named author or editor, alphabetize it based on the first element of the citation, generally a title."
  • Odd. The style should be doing this correctly, but doesn't for me either. We'll take a look.
  • This issue still seems to be in play. Items without an author are appearing at the end, rather than being inserted sorted by title.
  • which style specifically?
  • Is there any news on this? If you can point me to the relevant section of the code, I may be able to take a look. I can code, e.g. PERL, but will need some pointers as to where to look.
  • Sorry about the delay. If you want to look yourself, the code is here:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/turabian-fullnote-bibliography.csl#L785

and the specifications are here http://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html

but there is no obvious reason in the code why it shouldn't sort by title where no authors are present. It certainly looks to be written that way.