JSTOR repeatedly fails to save citations

Hello Zotero Experts,

I looked through the discussion forums for answers to my query, but similar posts either dealt with operating systems more recent than mine, or described slightly different issues -- at least as far as I could tell. If someone can direct me to a post that answers my question, that would be great. If not, read on...

Specs:

Mac OS X: 10.5.8 (PowerPC G4 laptop)
Firefox: 3.6.28
Zotero: 2.1.10

I'm not sure if this is pertinent, but just in case: I use DropBox to store Zotero's database.

After manually saving a PDF from JSTOR, I tried to save two articles from a list of search results (using the folder icon). I received the following error message: "Could Not Save Item. An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information." I then trying clicking on the individual article that I wanted to save, but I got the same message.

This is the stable URL of the first article I was trying to save: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3246619

And this is the second URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1882225

The error that appeared in Firefox's Error Console when I received Zotero's error message was: "Error: TypeError: line.replace is not a function"

I found a post similar to mine whose last entry was, "This is now fixed in the repository -- the updated translator will be out within 24 hours." However, my computer can't handle an upgrade to the new version of Zotero. Does my outmoded operating system doom me to forever receive error messages when I try to save citations from JSTOR?

Thank you in advance for your help!

AS
  • sorry, we can't support Zotero 2.1/FF 3.6 anymore - there is just too much that has changed (as I sidenote, FF 3.6 is also not receiving any more security updates from mozilla, so you're exposing your computer to a constant security risk - people using outdated software is one of the primary reason for the spread of viruses).

You can download the latest version of the JSTOR translator (updates aren't pushed to 2.1 clients anymore, afaik) from here:
    https://github.com/zotero/translators/raw/master/JSTOR.js
    and place it in your ZOtero data folder:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#locating_your_zotero_library
    but if that doesn't help, we can't do much.
  • Hi adamsmith,

Thank you for your response. I definitely understand the "too much has changed" line... It is nonetheless frustrating for those of us who belong to the "Don't fix it if it isn't broken" school. I'm perfectly happy with my elderly computer (b. 2004), but I find that I'm increasingly excluded from basic computing programs because, as you mentioned, security updates and other updates are no longer formatted for systems like mine. Even Zotero is beginning to shun me and my trusty PowerBook! All in all, quite disheartening.

As for the links you provided: I've located my Zotero data folder using the steps described on the second page you linked to. However, I'm not quite sure what to do with the first link. When I click on it, I see a bunch of code, but don't know how to proceed from there.

Thank you again for your help.
    AS
  • The problem is that the internet changes - in this case, the JSTOR site did (as do many others, we push an average of almost one translator update a day) so things _are_ broken and someone has to fix them. (Also, take the warnings about security risks seriously - just because you don't see how your system is broken doesn't mean potential attackers don't see it. And since you are using your computer on the internet, you're posing a security threat not just to yourself, but also to others.

The first link is a javascript program. Just download it (right-click (ctrl+click) on link --> save link as... and place the downloaded file - JSTOR.js - in the translator folder of the data directory, overwriting the existing one. No guarantees that will work, but I think in this case there is a fair chance that it will.
  • Hello again,

My system is not broken; rather, it is incompatible with the most current versions of software like Firefox or Zotero. You put the onus about internet security on users like me. That responsibilty, however, rightly belongs at the feet of companies like Mozilla, who -- if they truly cared about internet security and reducing the spread of viruses -- would keep their systems compatible even with "outdated" machines.

I do take warnings about security risks seriously. I'm just not sure what I can do to protect myself and others: stop using the internet altogether? Use a different browser (currently using Safari, but can't download Chrome or the new Firefox because neither works with my system...)? Buy a new computer? All of these suggestions are unrealistic for me (and for many others).

In the end, I'm saddened to hear such things from a Zotero developer. Such statements seem at odds with the open-source loveliness that is Zotero. Shouldn't it be a priority to keep Zotero available to the many overworked and underpaid researchers clacking away at their 8-year-old laptops, instead of blaming them for creating security risks?

AS
  • What open source means is that you're welcome to take the code and maintain a PowerPC compatible fork, not that the tiny staff of 1 1/2 and a ragtag group of volunteers (me included) has any moral responsibility to do so at the cost of neglecting other development. ("You" is a generic term here and needn't be you personally. It's possible that Zotero 3.0 would actually run on ten four fox: http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/ e.g. - they claim it has the same code as FF 17).
  • Also, the main issue here is that you're using a computer from before Apple's Intel transition. Otherwise, I believe, you could be running Snow Leopard for $20 and be running the latest versions of everything. That's bad luck for you, but you'll need to accept it—and you should also acknowledge that there's a point at which the costs of supporting extremely old systems outweigh the benefits.
  • edited December 21, 2012
    While I don't think @adamsmith was "blaming" you personally for contributing to security risks, I do believe that each us has a personal responsibility to behave prudently even if it is inconvient to do so. When vulnerabilities are found in software that cannot simply be patched but which require a major rewrite, it may be not only impractical but impossible for the software developers to maintain backward compatibility. I offer another example. Consider vaccinations against childhood diseases. For some people, going unvaccinated is not a choice -- the very young or persons with serious health conditions for whom a vaccination can be deadly or as bad as getting the disease itself. The health and safety of those children depends upon "herd immunity". Their health depends upon not being exposed to the disease from children whose parents wrongly believe that vaccinations are dangerous. The greater the prevalence of vaccinated kids, the less risk for unvaccinated ones. Another childhood example: we now know that certain babycrib designs present a great risk of suffocation to the babies who use them. There are laws or regulations that block the manufacture and sale of dangerous cribs not only new ones but also in resale shops. The crib isn't worn out but it is defective by design.

While a computer may not wear out like a household appliance, it does become obsolete -- even dangerous -- because of hardware and software design flaws. Apple made a decision to implement major changes to its operating system and hardware. We can debate the fairness and reasonablness of the Apple decision. I do not think that Apple's decision should require other software developers to continue indefinately to support outdated Apple systems.

I think that it is reasonable to expect continued software support from developers who sell a maintainence contract. It is quite another thing in the case of free open access software. There will likely always be evil ones who find and exploit weaknesses in systems. Software developers must not only work to improve the features of their product, they must also continue to find ways to eliminate the continuing threat of malware. I agree with the Zotero decisions about the balance between, one one hand, progress and security and on the other hand continued compatible upgrades for older systems.
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I just want to make clear that I really can't express how much I appreciate Zotero's "tiny staff of 1 1/2 and a ragtag group of volunteers." I understand that you all need to, as DWL put it, strike a balance between "progress and security" and the development of "compatible upgrades for older systems." It is nonetheless frustrating to hear that it is supposedly me who is behaving imprudently by using a computer that really does do almost everything I need it to do. As to the things it does not do: well, those are dependent on software upgrades that are no longer available to me.

Of course I do not want to put myself or others at risk, but I cannot afford a significant upgrade at this stage. Yes, as Dan Stillman said, I was unlucky in purchasing a system that cannot be upgraded to Snow Leopard. I'm not sure, though, how I'm supposed to "accept" that. As I said before, it's unrealistic for me to stop using my computer or get a new one at this time.

As I tried to make clear in my last post, my frustration is directed more toward companies like Mozilla, who employ more than a motley bunch of volunteers, and less at great projects like Zotero. Nonetheless, I can't help but be a bit frustrated that I can no longer get the support I need from Zotero.

All that beind said, I was an ardent Zotero proselytizer in the past and will continue to be one. Perhaps next year I'll be able to get a computer that's worthy of the latest version.

For now, I remain,
    Yours truly,

Ye Olde PowerBook
  • Yes, as Dan Stillman said, I was unlucky in purchasing a system that cannot be upgraded to Snow Leopard. I'm not sure, though, how I'm supposed to "accept" that.
    Well, by "accept" I just mean understand that this is going to be the answer you're going to receive from us, given upstream decisions and our own limited resources.

But have you tried TenFourFox, as suggested by adamsmith? I would think it's exactly what you want. And while we can't really promise to help you with all problems you might encounter while using it, there's a decent chance things will just work normally.
  • Camino is another reasonably up-to-date browser that still works on G4 PPC systems, and you might be able to use it with the Zotero Bookmarklet.

http://caminobrowser.org/
    http://www.zotero.org/downloadbookmarklet
  • But Standalone won't run on 10.5 as of Zotero 3.0.10 (because it's based on the same code as Firefox 17), and the bookmarklet and website aren't really what you want to be using for real work at this point. TenFourFox is the thing to try here.
  • And if you try TenFourFox, which sounds like a really cool project, please let us know how well it proves to work with Zotero, so we can pass on that knowledge to others and add it to the help and troubleshooting information. You're not the only one to run into this limitation, and we'd all love to make Zotero work for G3/G4/G5 users.