abbreviated journal titles

Hi,

As far as I can tell, there is currently no way in Zotero to tell it to abbreviate Journal titles in bibliographies (nor is there a database of abbreviations). How hard is it to add this? There are a number of publicly available lists of journal names and abbreviations. A simple text file with these could initially be used to do the abbreviations.

Cheers,
David
  • i would need this feature, too

Björn
  • This would be extremely helpful for me as well.

At least in my field, there are a significant number of journals (and book series) that are cited almost exclusively by abbreviation, eg. TS, MR, etc.

Of course, whenever one adds items to the Zotero database automatically through Firefox, it will usually pull the full journal name. That's okay, but it would be great to add functionality that would deal with the issue of abbreviations, perhaps by allowing one to set up a master list of abbreviations that are equated with the journal titles; and the ability to default to one or the other in citations, bibliographies, etc.

Just some ideas; it's already a great product thus far!
  • Well you can let the output style use abbreviated journal titles instead. The problem (as pointed out) is that the abbreviated journal-field is not automatically filled out from a database. This mean that you have to write the abbreviation yourselves for every reference