Setting up a book entry (compiled by editors) with separate chapter authors

I have a rather perplexing concern. I seem unable to fathom a solution to instances where I need to cite chapters attributable to separate authors featured in a book compilation collated by an editor.

A sample citation (APA) would look like this: (which Zotero seemingly cannot do)
Cooke, D.J. and Philip, L. 2001. To treat or not to treat? An empirical perspective. In: Hollin, C.R. ed. Handbook of offender assessment and treatment. Chichester: Wiley, pp. 3-15.
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/edited_volumes_and_book_chapters
  • (for what it's worth - the sample you provide is not correct APA. Chapters in APA look like this:
    O'Neil, J. M., & Egan, J. (1992). Men's and women's gender role journeys: A metaphor for healing, transition, and transformation. In B. R. Wainrib (Ed.), Gender issues across the life cycle (pp. 107-123). New York, NY: Springer.

And that's what Zotero will give you.
  • adamsmith, Hi! Thanks. Noted. You are 100% correct. My oversight, thanks for correction.
  • I added my book section just the way you had described above, and yet the book title (which I input in correct apa format as: The handbook of emotional intelligence: Theory, development, assessment, and application at home, school, and in the workplace, translated when I output the bibliography into: The Handbook of Emotional Inteligence: Theory, Developent, Assessment, and Application at Home, School, and in the Workplace (in italics, which is correct.) What did I do wrong? why is it translating into the caps?

Please help as I don't want to have to force zotero to hardwire these changes.

thanks
  • You're not doing anything wrong.
    We're currently doing this on purpose and there is a note in the style file that title case is required by APA for Book Titles when citing a chapter from a book - I'm on the road, could someone confirm with the manual? This is easy to change either way.
  • actually just confirmed that this shouldn't be the case:
    http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/02/books-and-book-chapters-what-to-cite.html
    Author, A. A. (Year). Title of chapter. In B. B. Editor (Ed.), Title of book (pp. xxx–xxx). Location: Publisher.
    so we'll fix this asap.
  • Thank you thank you! This will save me hours of work. I have to print out dissertation lit review for submittall. Can you let me know what ASAP acutally means? I've got to submit by Sunday night. Will it be done by then? Thank you again for responding so quickly!

Renee
  • Should be fixed now: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/commit/8c2d3f2790d6f9ec4db5228772177be47622ec90

Will show up in the Zotero Style Repository in 30 min or thereabouts.
  • Hi Rintze:

I throught I'd wait awhile to make sure the change had been updated in the repository. I tried refreshing one citation in my biblo. but it still shows the Book Title in caps, though I entered it in lowercase as described in my message above.

Is there something else that may be a problem? Some other way to update an existing bibio?

I very much appreciate your assistance. Don't know what else to do here.

Awaiting your response

Renee
  • you need to re-install the style from the repository if you didn't already (the updated version is up).

Then, try switching to a different style and back to make sure the change takes effect.
  • edited November 30, 2012
    Hi:

If by reinstall you mean switch from APA style to another, and switch back, I tried this, an it is not making any change to the book title's upper and lower case presentation.

So, would you please let me know how to re-install a style from the repository? Do I do have to download zotero again?

I'd appreciate a procedure to follow here. Thanks for your continued support.

Thanks

Renee
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/styles#zotero_style_repository

re-install the style, not Zotero.
  • HI:

Followed the instructions on the link. I also closed down my zotero and brought it back up again just in case that helped. I'm still not seeing the book title that is connected to a book section, in lower case. This is an example of what I'm getting:

Bates, J. E., Goodnight, J. A., & Fite, J. E. (2010). Temperament and emotion. In M. Lewis, J. M. Haviland-Jones, & L. F. Barrett (Eds.), Handbook of Emotions (3rd ed., pp. 485–496). The Guilford Press.

Handbook of Emotions should be Handbook of emotions, in APA 6thed. What else can I do please? I'm using Firefox 16.02, and using Zotero on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 via MSWord 2008.

The link did reinstall the style (at least I clicked the button to have it do it).

The example on the repository style update page for APA6th ed. is confusing because it shows only a single word title. Can you try a multiple word title to see if the change has been updated? Here's what the style says right now:

Hogue, C. W. V. (2001). Structure Databases. In A. D. Baxevanis & B. F. F. Ouellette (Eds.), Bioinformatics (2nd ed., pp. 83–109). New York, NY: Wiley-Interscience.

Thanks, awaiting your reply.

Renee
  • under cite->styles in the Zotero preferences:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences
    all your styles are listed with the update date next to them - what does it say next to APA 6th?
  • Right-click on the item in Zotero, select "Create Bibliography from Selected Item" and APA style to Clipboard.

Paste the (one item) bibliography here.
  • Bates, J. E., Goodnight, J. A., & Fite, J. E. (2010). Temperament and emotion. In M. Lewis, J. M. Haviland-Jones, & L. F. Barrett (Eds.), Handbook of emotions (3rd ed., pp. 485–496). The Guilford Press.

Here you go.

Since this is correct, where is the problem? The Book Title info line says: Handbook of emotions, but when I do the biblio it comes out Handbook of Emotions.

Bates, J. E., Goodnight, J. A., & Fite, J. E. (2010). Temperament and emotion. In M. Lewis, J. M. Haviland-Jones, & L. F. Barrett (Eds.), Handbook of Emotions (3rd ed., pp. 485–496). The Guilford Press.

What's going on?

Renee
  • OK, so we know you have the right style installed and the style is working correctly in general - see the manually created citation.

Now we need to fix it in Word:
    Click on "Set Document Preferences"
    in the Word plugin: http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage

Select Chicago Manual of Style (Author-date) and click OK

Check that the citations actually change (slightly - Chicago author-date is pretty similar).

Then click on Set Document Preferences again. Select APA. Click OK - see if that fixes it.
  • I'm trying to change systele but got an error. going to try again.
  • It worked! OMG. I can't believe it.

Thanks for sticking with me. I really appreciate it. Not sure why going to Chicago style and then back again changed things, but I'm ok with that right now.

Thanks again

Renee