Firefox-like Chrome standalone?

Hi,
I've enjoyed Zotero as de facto standalone within Firefox, yet since I've switched to Chrome recently I figured the connector is way less comfortable...

I know you only begin to miss things once you've discovered they exist but...are there any plans to build a firefox-like standalone app for Chrome...please?!

:)

Regards,
Ivo
  • May I ask what makes the Chrome connector +standalone less comfortable? I was actually going to suggest that Zotero moves entirely towards Standalone once the few differences between Standalone and FireFox plugin are eliminated.

To answer your question, no, there are no such plans and it would be extremely involved to create a dedicated Chrome plugin and then maintain it
  • IMO it's simply much more comfortable to have the entire program included in your browser - making it unnecessary to install yet another piece of software on your computer's HDD.

Also, in a university context often you may not be allowed to install software on their computers contrary to installing browser plugins. In this use case the connector+standalone combo is worthless.

It simply makes for a more integrated work flow.
    Plus I imagine it could be easier for developers to create more apps based on an app rather than a monolithic software.

But if nothing like this is being planned for Chrome, PLEASE don't scrap the FF plugin!

Sincerely,
    Ivo
  • We have no plans to get rid of Zotero for Firefox. Whereas a full Chrome extension would require basically rewriting much of Zotero from scratch, Zotero for Firefox and Zotero Standalone share most of the same code, so there's little additional cost to maintaining both.

In any case, a full Chrome extension isn't really possible, given the much more limited Chrome extension framework.