How to remove "available at" and "accessed" from bibliography?

Hi all,

I am using Zotero standlone 3.0.8.1 on Mac, with Word 2011.

I am using the latest Journal of Neuroscience style.

My bibliography entries have a lot of URL entries which should not be there for publication (google books links, sciencedirect links etc.)

How can I remove these? I would prefer not to remove them from the library as it is useful information but I definitely don't want them showing up in the document.

Sorry for asking again - I found lots of previous discussions but many seemed out of date and I didn't find a clear answer anywhere.

Thanks
  • There's an option in the Zotero preferences (under Cite->Styles) to include URLs of paper articles in references. If this is unchecked (and it is by default), then you shouldn't get URLs in your citations when the references have page numbers.
  • (books from google books, though, _will_ display URLs, because they're online sources of books and as such should have urls. If you consult a book online you should provide its URL. If you didn't read the online copy, retrieve the info from a library catalog).
  • "If you consult a book online you should provide its URL. If you didn't read the online copy, retrieve the info from a library catalog."

The issue of URLs appearing in citations has come up countless times, with the thread generally ending with a dismissive comment or a suggestion to take the day or two off in order to learn how to edit CSL. The response in this thread is, I think, novel, in that it seemingly attests to an effort to impose morality on Zotero's users by denying them the ability to suppress the inclusion of URLs in certain types of citations. If this is indeed correct, I respectfully submit the following:

1. It is the author's responsibility, not that of Zotero developers, to ensure that the citations placed in a manuscript conform to the highest scholarly standards, including accurately reflecting the edition or format of the work that was actually consulted.

2. The act of grabbing a citation is NOT the same thing as "consulting" a work. In the midst of a Google Scholar session, I often grab Google Book citations to works I already have in my personal possession or that I intend to acquire.

3. The suggested alternative amounts to a usability nightmare. Let's say I'm working at home. It would likely involve opening a new browser tab, logging on to my university's network, going to my library's catalog, initiating a search for the item in question, reformulating the search after the first one fails, locating the item, and clicking the Zotero icon -- if, that is, my library actually has the item, which is increasingly iffy due to budget cuts.
  • edited November 29, 2012
    Hi Bryan,

Thanks - I have to agree with you!

The answers are a bit of a case of "you're holding it wrong". But in any serious journal if it is a published book you cite the book, not Google Books. And yet it is very useful to have the google book referenced in zotero for quick access (even just a visual scan of the cover to confirm from memory it is the book you mean, without having to locate the physical copy).

This was originally one of the advantages for me of Zotero over something Endnote - which is purely a citation manager... Zotero also allows me to manage content. But it seems those are now in conflict and I must choose content or citation. I suppose I should have two entries... one which I cite, and one with the Google Books URL (or other online link - I didn't only have this problem with Google Books) although I am not sure how I can clearly make them distringuishable from within the cite while you write plugin... I must say it would seem simpler to have an option to disable URLs in book items - but obviously that is not approved by the thought police!
  • - but obviously that is not approved by the thought police!
    classy...

@Bryan - nowhere in this thread is CSL editing suggested.
    As for google books - the simple act of deleting a URL of a book you retrieve from google books will do - if need be you can attach that URL as a link (attach link from URI) - those links are never cited.
    Generally I still strongly recommend using library catalogs for books over google - you can configure search bars or link resolvers for many library catalogs so this is a one-click operation and the bib data is much better than what you'd get from google.

For the same data quality reasons I recommend staying away from google scholar import - you're better off following the links and importing from the source.
  • and just to be clear - the whole "morality" thing is nonsense of course. You can do with Zotero (as opposed to proprietary software that makes you sign a EULA restricting its use to what they deem proper) whatever you want. When I write that you "should" do something that is a recommendation for best practice, not a moral obligation. I figured that'd be pretty obvious, but in case it wasn't clear, I hope it is now.

Where I do have a normative position is about what _Zotero_ should do and that is to follow a stringent and transparent set of rules for gathering and citing data and to have those rules conform to accepted norms of citation as much as possible.
  • There's an option in the Zotero preferences (under Cite->Styles) to include URLs of paper articles in references.
    Is there a way to set that by document? (ie through Openoffice connector?)

The reason I ask is I am working on multiple docs - some want URL's and some don't. I can set the bib type per doc, but can't seem to set URL inclusion meaning I have to remember to go back to zotero and reset it before refreshing...
  • no, you can't set this by document. Something along those lines would be quite useful. I'd actually prefer the ability to set this in the citation style (e.g. the MLA style is coded so that the option has to be checked for the style to work, but I can't force that with the style), but the two aren't necessarily exclusive.
  • The option in the Zotero preferences (under Cite->Styles) whether or not to include URLs of paper articles in references does not work for me (Zotero 5.0.33). It was not checked, but the URL's are still included in the biblio. Any ideas?
  • The fine print matters here. The option does not generally hide all URL. Simon above explains this:
    If this is unchecked (and it is by default), then you shouldn't get URLs in your citations when the [article] references have page numbers.
    which of course means that plenty of other URLs, e.g. for book, website, etc. will still show up. If you literally want no URLs ever, editing the citation style is indeed the only option.