firefox upgrade -> no notes, no exports

Hi, after upgrading firefox today to version 17.0 Zotero shows some strange behaviour:

1) I can not view/edit my notes any more. Zotero keeps telling me NoScript is blocking access to file:// In fact file:// is on my whitelist and even after deactivating NoScript and restarting Firefox Zotero does not show any notes. (I also tried the suggestions in a related post http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/14727/ with no effect)

2) I can not export any entries any more. Zotero just exports something like @misc{__????} (in BibTeX format, similar things in other formats).

Has anybody experienced similar problems?
  • which Zotero version are you running?
  • edited November 22, 2012
    Oh, sorry.
    An update of Zotero did it. (3.0.8 -> 3.0.10)
  • Yes, Firefox 17 breaks many things in Zotero 3.0.8 and earlier.

Unfortunately the version of Zotero on addons.mozilla.org won't be updated for another week or more due to a problem on their end. Versions downloaded originally from there won't auto-update to 3.0.10 before then.
  • Hi Stepo and Dan

thank you for your posts and comments. I share(d) Stepo's problem running a firefox 17 with a Zotero 3.0.8 plugin under Ubuntu 12.04. Note editing and export stopped working, and the GUI froze partially due to the problem that (almost probably) was caused by a patch to the global menu bar of ff17 conflicting with the tiny MCE editor. However, your hint to upgrade the addon (now to 3.0.11) seems to have solved both: note editing and export work again :-).
    Thanks again for your fast help.
    Greetzs, AK
  • Thanks much for this. Same prob., same fix -- 3.0.11. Much appreciated!
  • edited November 27, 2012
    I run Multilingual Zotero 3.0m299. Is there a chance that I will be updated or become compatible with Firefox 17 and up soon? Thank you, Olga
  • Hi Olga

I do not know your version (and I am not an expert in zotero at all). But another workaround that I have considered before knowing that a plugin-update would do is migrating to Icewasel. All plugins work as it is mozilla, but possibly it does not have the same bugs. As both versions use your data / references fomr the central storage it should not be a big issue to move forth (and back, eventually).

Greetzs,
    AK
  • (Zotero MLZ should work with Firefox 17 - also, Zotero did not break due to a bug in Firefox, but to a previously announced change which is why a compatible Zotero update was released a couple of days before FF 17 came out - the only problem is for people who downloaded Zotero from mozilla or who had auto-updating turned off for add-ons.)
  • (And the only reason IceWeasel would work would be that it's out of date.)
  • edited December 13, 2012
    Hi Olga,

As adamsmith says, MLZ should work with Firefox 17 -- I pull the Zotero 3.0 changes across to MLZ from time to time, and it's very much up to date at the moment. If you run into problems, do let us know though.
  • Dear friends,

Thanks much to everybody. Could you tell me please, how can I update my Zotero to 3.0.10 or 3.0.11 version in Ubuntu 12.04?
    Many thanks in advance!