Yay for the new download page!

It's terrific. Thank you!
  • It does look very nice, but at first glance it makes it look like Word integration is only available for Firefox plugin. Also, a nit, but it's recommending safari plugin on an android device.
  • I like it too! Now, someone proposed to add popular add-ons to that page. They are still pretty hidden. So why not put maybe four smaller blue boxes for the most popular addon's below the two for "Zotero for Firefox" and "Zotero Standalone". Spontaneously, I am thinking about the android client zandy, the ios clint zotpad, zotfile, and zotero quick look. It should be clear that these are third party software and there should also be a link to the full list of add-ons.
  • agree on the plugins - at a minimum provide a link to the plugins page
  • There is a link at the bottom, although it's a bit hidden.
  • It does look nice but I find it useless unless it brings back a way to see: 1) what version I'm going to download (ok, I can look to the filename linked, but come on!) 2) the release date, and 3) _most importantly_ a link to some kind of release notes with a list of 'what is new' and important changes for the current version and for old versions. The trac commits timeline is just too detailed, but the info on the old download page was good. I never update for the sake of updating on my main machine, so this bits of info is critical.
  • The changelog is where it has always been, and it's linked from the top of /support (as is the old 3.0 page).
    I never update for the sake of updating on my main machine, so this bits of info is critical.
    OK, but you know that you're in a very small minority of users here and that what you do isn't something we recommend. The vast majority of existing users have no reason to look at the download page, and most new users have no reason to look at the changelog. The people who need the changelog can find it easily, and you yourself pointed out how you can see the current version number from the download page.

We can probably find a place to show the version number and a changelog link without overcrowding the download page, but there is a reason some popular software doesn't do that anymore.
  • Some comments on the new downloads page:

- the screenshots are tiny. Maybe you could offer click-to-zoom versions? (like http://fancyapps.com/fancybox/#examples )
    - "Zotero for Firefox lets you capture and organize all your research without ever leaving the browser."
    I would rewrite this to
    "Capture and organize your research without ever leaving the Firefox browser."
    - "Zotero Standalone runs as a separate application and plugs into your choice of browser."
    Similarly, maybe you could use something like
    "Run Zotero as a standalone application and connect it to your browser of choice."
    - The terminology in "Add one of the following browser extensions:" is inconsistent with the header "Connectors".
    - I find the bookmarket documentation unclear. When should I use it? (for other browsers than Chrome, Safari or Firefox?)
    - The three columns at the bottom of the page are confusingly arranged, since most entries are only relevant to one of the two columns above. E.g., I don't think it's clear that "Client - Firefox Extension" is the same as "Zotero for Firefox" or that "Client - Windows" is the same as "Zotero Standalone" for Windows. Using two columns instead of three would help.
  • @ Rintze I agree with these suggestions. I have been thinking about making similar suggestions for edits. I believe that the changes may make the page more easily understood for new Zotero users. Some of the labels were even confusing to me.