Not working after upgrade to 1.0.6 and Firefox 3

I just upgraded Firefox and Zotero and I've lost the icon in the address bar to add references. It's gone on all the sites I've tried. Zotero is still there and I can see all of my previous references but I can't add any new one.
  • Click Reset Translators and Styles in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try disabling all other Firefox extensions.
  • After upgrading to Firefox 3 in my iMac OSX, the Zotero icon in the lower left corner of the browser has a yellow exclamation sign triangle. If I click on it, a pop-up window shows up saying "[JavaScript Application] There was an error starting Zotero". The Advance pane solution did not work. Neither did disabling all other extensions.
  • Seeing the same problem with Firefox 3 and 1.0.6 as SamR. Uninstalled and reinstalled.
  • a pop-up window shows up saying "[JavaScript Application] There was an error starting Zotero"
    This is a different issue from StanelyF's, but for this message, follow the steps in the Advanced Instructions section of the Reporting Bugs page and let us know what appears in the Error Console.
  • Per the advanced instructions, following is error console entry: Error: view.selection is null
    Source File: chrome://global/content/config.js
    Line: 364

Here's the line from config.js:

var prefCol = view.selection.currentIndex < 0 ? null : gPrefView[view.selection.currentIndex].prefCol;

Hope this helps.
  • p.s.,
    running XP Professional SP 3 on a stable system
  • KatzDJ: Try closing Firefox and deleting the files compreg.dat, xpti.dat, extensions.cache, extensions.ini, and extensions.rdf from your Firefox profile. They'll be recreated automatically when you restart Firefox.
  • Dan,

Deleted those files from the profile. Restarted Firefox (but did not reboot system).

Restarted Firefox. Am still seeing the triangle with the explanation point over Zotero. Can't start it.

Checked the Firefox error console and have no errors.
  • Can you provide debug output for starting Firefox?
  • Closed all tabs, cleared the error console, restarted Firefox and got a lot of error console error messages as follows:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Error: Zotero is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/browser.js
    Line: 758
    Zotero_Browser.progress = new Zotero.ProgressWindow();

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/overlay.xul
    Line: 421

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 4" data: no]

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/itemPane.js
    Line: 51

Error: this.docShell is null
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml
    Line: 0

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED) [nsIRequest.name]" nsresult: "0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsLoginManager.js :: anonymous :: line 282" data: no]
    Source File: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsLoginManager.js
    Line: 282

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED) [nsIRequest.name]" nsresult: "0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsLoginManager.js :: anonymous :: line 282" data: no]
    Source File: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsLoginManager.js
  • Please restart your computer to make sure Firefox is fully closed, delete compreg.dat and xpti.dat, and then start Firefox and check the error console.
  • Did per your instruction. MSGs follow. Thanks for your help. I hope it's not me doing something stupid. Zotero was working fine before:

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/browser.js
    Line: 758

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/overlay.xul
    Line: 421

Source File: chrome://zotero/content/itemPane.js
    Line: 51

Error: this.docShell is null
    Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml
    Line: 0

• edited June 18, 2008
    Nothing helpful there, I'm afraid.

If you were using a custom location for your Zotero data directory, try resetting that pref.

Otherwise, you may want to consider starting a new Firefox profile and moving your old data (both Firefox and Zotero) over.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Basic+Troubleshooting
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Recovering+important+data+from+an+old+profile
    http://www.zotero.org/documentation/frequently_asked_questions#how_do_i_back_up_my_zotero_library
  • Hi -- I'm working on a Mac and had to reinstall my system (ugh). I tried moving my Zotero library, but seem to have messed everything up. I attempted to uninstall Zotero, delete Firefox, remove all the relevant preferences and application support items. However, even after installing a new copy of Firefox and Zotero, the Zotero icon still has a yellow exclamation point over it. Somehow, I can't seem to install a virgin copy of Firefox and Zotero.

The error message is (I would have sent via the report bugs item, if I could even open Zotero):

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/include.js :: :: line 4" data: no]
  • Dan,

Problem solved!

I had been using a custom location. I shifted it back the Firefox profile directory and it's working fine now.

Your help is much appreciated.
  • edited June 20, 2008
    I wasn't as lucky as KatzDJ. My Zotero still does not start. These are the error messages:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 799" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
    Line: 220

[extra output removed]

Mine is a PowerPC iMac running OSX 10.4.11

In contrast to my Mac had no problem with Zotero after upgrading to Firefox 3 on my windows (XP and Vista) computers.
  • After removing the .dat files as recommended above, I restarted Firefox: Zotero still doesn't start. There was only one error listed:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]" nsresult: "0x8052000e (NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 799" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js
    Line: 220

Just in case it helps: before upgrading to Firefox 3, I had exported my Zotero database in Zotero format.
  • SamR: Are you using a custom location for your data directory? I don't suppose it's on a shared drive, by any chance?
  • Dan: I am not using a custom location nor is the data on a shared drive.

Thanks
  • Have you tried restarting your computer?
  • Thank you Don. I have restarted my computer many times and the problem remains.
  • Sam: Close Firefox, open Terminal (in Applications->Utilities), type the following command, and hit Return:

lsof | grep zotero.sqlite

If Firefox is closed, there shouldn't be any output.
  • Thank you Dan. I typed on Terminal as described, but when I restarted Firefox, Zotero is still unavailable.
  • edited June 25, 2008
    That command won't fix anything—it's just for debugging. Was there any output from the command with Firefox closed?
  • No output.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • Hello Don,

Hope you had a great 4th of July weekend. I will appreciate your help to get Zotero up and running on my Mac again.

Sam
  • Sam: You might want to try a nightly build of Firefox 3.0.x to see if that fixes the problem. You say you're not using a network filesystem, but there may be something odd about your filesystem that's causing the same error.

You could also wait for Firefox 3.0.1, which should be out in a few days.
  • Thank you Don.

Sam
  • Dan: you were right. Version 3.0.1 took care of the problem and I now have my Zotero back! (it might have helped my spelling too: notice that I spelled your name correctly today).

Thanks. Sam
  • After spending quite sometime, I ended up doing what Dan has suggested earlier (i.e.,
    closing Firefox and deleting the files compreg.dat, xpti.dat, extensions.cache, extensions.ini, and extensions.rdf from my Firefox profile). In a later posting, he suggested deleting only the first two of those files but for me deleting only those two did not do the job.

In my case, zotero was working if I do not use my existing database. For those who have similar problems and cannot get a quick fix by following some of the simple things suggested throughout this thread, I suggest installing zotero to Firefox on another user account and check whether it works there.

Dan, thanks for the suggestion!