data base & installation size

Hi,

The file size of my zotero.sqlite file is 62,000 KB, and the entire zotero folder 1,4 GB on the hard disk. I eliminated duplicate entries and emptied the trash folder. The difference remains huge, copying the folder on a USB stick takes 4 hrs.
Is this ok ?

I saw that web pages saved in Zotero show numerous useless images. What happens if I delete large images? Does Zotero look for them and becomes locked up, or is there just a hole on the recreated web page ?

Isd there any way to compress Zotero folders ?
  • The file size of my zotero.sqlite file is 62,000 KB, and the entire zotero folder 1,4 GB on the hard disk. I eliminated duplicate entries and emptied the trash folder. The difference remains huge, copying the folder on a USB stick takes 4 hrs.
    Is this ok ?
    The "difference" sounds plausible - 62MB would be about the size of a library with 2000 items or so (depending on a bunch of other factors), which can easily take up 1,2 GB for attachments in the storage folder. The 4hrs sound weird unless you don't have USB 2.0 - standard USB 2.0 communication is about 20MB/sec - which means this shouldn't take longer than a couple of minutes. Low speed USB 1.0 is about 400 times slower, so 4hrs could be about right.
    I saw that web pages saved in Zotero show numerous useless images. What happens if I delete large images? Does Zotero look for them and becomes locked up, or is there just a hole on the recreated web page ?
    The latter. Deleting images that are part of the webpage will not cause any problems beyond, of course, the images not being displayed.
  • Thanks, this sounds reassuring.
  • Is there a way to exclude images from getting saved in a copy from a web page, a text-only form ? I don't see such a function in the doc, but maybe I am missing something.
  • no, there isn't.