export from zotero generated word bibliography

Hi,

I was desperately looking the documentation but have not found anything helpful - sorry if the question as already answered.

I have the following problem: I generated a bibliography in a MS Word document, which is however not linked to a specific zotero collection.
The references are just added from various collections. A coworker needs to provide the references however as EndNote file. How (if at all) can I export the bibliography I generated by Zotero in Word? It appears to me as if this bibliography is not linked to a single file or folder? I tried: Edit bibliography and tried to copy the refs from the document into an empty subcollection, but this was not possible. Any Ideas to avoid a painful manual export?

I'm working on the latest Zotero version.

Thanks in advance!
  • sorry, can't currently be done.
    This in on the radar for the medium run, I believe, and could also be done by a third party developer, but right now your only option is to do this manually (or to tell your foolish co-worker to not use Endnote :-).
  • Adam, this is an unreasonable solution. Lots of older academics still use endnote and will not switch, and want to see student's references in endnote format.
    I am dumbfounded that this functionality does not exist.
    Frankly your attempt at humor does not help when I realize that I will need to spend hours picking out the references that I already added to a document and drag and drop them into a folder just so I can export them.
    Giving up on zotero and returning to endnote...
  • I am dumbfounded that this functionality does not exist.
    We have a finite amount of resources, and everyone has features that they deem dealbreakers. Yours happens to be one that isn't done and isn't requested particularly frequently. Plenty of other people have had their dealbreakers implemented in the time that we haven't worked on this.

Given that many people generate collections for specific projects—and that most people don't need to export the citations that they use in a document—the lack of this feature doesn't affect a lot of people. But it's planned.

(Does EndNote actually support this?)
  • (Does EndNote actually support this?)
    Yes, the feature is called travelling library:
    http://www.galter.northwestern.edu/Guides-and-Tutorials/Advanced-EndNote/#TheTravelingLibrary
    But then of course endnote doesn't support anything like syncing, groups, or even the reference data stored in the citation, so these are the only way you can collaborate at all.
  • Hi,

Has there been any progress on this topic since the last post? I would very much like to be able to save all citations in a Word bibliography to a Zotero collection.

There was mention of third-party software that could do the trick. Any suggestions?
  • No.
    The suggestion was that a third-party software (an addon) could be developed…
  • Bummer. Would be so useful.
  • edited August 16, 2013
    We actually need something like this locally.

Zotero and MLZ are heavily used by our students for thesis preparation, and on completion, I would like to be able to harvest their references by giving them a plugin to install, a set of simple instructions and an email address to send their exported data to. We can then build a collective history of materials referenced by each cohort in our programs, for use as a starting point by their successors working on similar topics.

The traffic here reminds me that I should get to work and build this. I think it won't be too much work. If I get something together, I'll post back to this thread.
  • Great. I'm sure you're aware of Simon's message on the dev-list. This can give ideas on how to implement it.