Zotero SA freeze while PDF open. Linux Mint MATE.

Hi all,
I have two systems running Zotero stand alone with a connector to Chrome. The problem I'm having is that when I open a pdf from Zotero, the Zotero window freezes and is unresponsive until I close the pdf, at which point Zoteros wakes up.

I'm using MATE (a fork of Gnome 2) and can reproduce this 100% of the time on both systems, running either compiz or marco (fork of metacity). Pdf viewer is atril (fork of evince).

Debug ID: D826805119

Cheers,
Seth
  • I'm having the exact same problem running Crunchbang. I've tried this with two different pdf viewers - evince and foxit through wine.

Adam
  • I suspect this has something to do with the behavior of xdg-open on your system, although it isn't supposed to block even if xdg-open doesn't exit. It may be a little while until I can look into this, though.
  • Hi,

I had the same problem (although I'm using Xournal instead of xdg-open). I wrote a tiny script that makes sure to always exit after opening my document. Here it is (mine launches Xournal for PDFs and xdg-open for other formats):

#!/bin/bash
    if [ "$#" -eq "0" ]; then
    echo no arguments passed, aborting 1>&2
    exit
    fi

case $1 in
    *.pdf) xournal $1 & exit;;
    *) xdg-open $1 & exit;;
    esac
    exit

What you need to do then is modify the extensions.zotero.fallbackLauncher.unix (or equivalent) key to point to this script instead of directly xdg-open. Seems to work very well.

By the way, I really think that something as crucial should be directly accessible within the settings.