Pdfs from the Right Hand Column of Google Scholar

Zotero deliberately does not download pdfs from the right hand column of Google scholar, since these pdf's do not always match the citation on the left apparently afaik.

I always want the pdfs on the right since I have no database access (other than now from SAGE free offer http://ow.ly/e8dhm ).

Is the following the quickest way to get pdfs from Google scholar

1) Click on the yellow folder. Click the relevant check box and then download the citation to Zotero.
2) Open the right hand column in a new tab and then save it to a file on my disk.
3) Use the paperclip to attach the file to the previously downloaded citation.
  • edited October 23, 2012
    Zotero deliberately does not download pdfs from the right hand column of Google scholar, since these pdf's do not always match the citation on the left apparently afaik.
    That's incorrect. Zotero deliberately _does_ download PDFs from Google Scholar, but Google Scholar recently changed some layout on their website and broke this.

This should now be fixed. You can wait for your translators to update automatically within 24 hours or update manually from Gears menu -> Preferences -> General -> Update Now

Edit: ooops. "not" should have been "now". Fixed. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Thank you. You are right. The the translator has fixed the Google problem, and right hand pdfs were download and linked.

I just happend to try to do it when the translator was having issues.

I could have sworn that in the past right hand pdfs were not downloaded, even pressing shift, but I am probably wrong. I seach for ages on the forum to find the policy statement but failed so I probably misremembered.
  • I see that Zotero downloads pdfs from Google scholar without shift-click, and that the behaviour is controlled by a setting in preferences - "Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving items"

Is there anyway of toggling this behaviour without having to to into preferences?

(I am still stunned by how fast Zotero has become. It is instantaneous!)
  • I guess that means that there is no way toggling the pdf download behaviour regarding the download of pdfs.

Shift+Click toggles the "snapshot preference" which is different to the pdf download preference. It would be cool if their were a "Ctrl + click" to toggle pdf preference.
  • I believe Zutilo can do that: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/zutilo-utility-for-zotero/ but haven't tried, so you'll have to figure out details yourself.
  • Thank you!

Zutilo says

"Extract Zotero item from a current webpage with/without attachments:Zutilo adds extra menu items to the context menu of Zotero's status bar icon that extract citations from the current page with or without extracting the page's associated PDF's and other files. That is, if the "Automatically attach PDFs and other files" preference is selected in Zotero, Zutilo adds menu items (one item for each "Save to Zotero" method that applies to the current page) for creating a new Zotero item without the attachments."