Factiva error

Hi, I'm having an issue obtaining citations from Factiva. I've tried reloading the page etc., but this has been occurring for two days now and it is obviously a larger issue.

Although a folder icon appears in the address bar, and lists the articles for citation, it will not export the citation to Zotero. Instead a blank notification box appears in the lower left corner of the screen when I try to select an article for citation.

Here is the URL:

http://global.factiva.com.ezproxy.library.yorku.ca/ha/default.aspx

Though, again, putting in a new search does not change the situation. It is a problem with Factiva/Zotero.

Here is the Error Report number: 1642975935.

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.
  • I never got Factiva to work - my sense is that there are two different Factiva versions and Zotero works with one and not the other.

The site is a mess, I tried to fix this once, but found it rather hopeless. Maybe Aurimas can be motivated to have a look - he likes hard cases ;-).
  • Well, that is unfortunate. I agree the cite is a mess.

Aurimas - if you've got anything for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm supposed to complete this project by the end of June.
  • I can't reproduce the error you're getting, but it's most likely because the way the proxy at my university works with Factiva is a little weird.

Anyway, looking through the translator, I think I may have identified a potential problem that would make the translator fail behind a proxy. I can't really test it, but if you could give it a shot and let us know if the problem is fixed, that would be great.

Download the modified translator from https://raw.github.com/aurimasv/translators/factiva/Factiva.js (right-click and "save link as" or go to the page and save it). Then move the file to the "translators" directory inside your Zotero data directory overwriting the old translator. Restart your browser and Zotero and try it out.
  • I just followed your instructions, and it seems to be working. Strangely, I still get the blank notification box at the bottom left of the screen, but the citations download.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • If you don't mind doing a little bit more troubleshooting, could you tell us the search query and specific items that you are trying to import and that are producing the blank notification box?

Also, could you produce a debug ID for the actions starting with you clicking on the Zotero button in the URL bar through the time when all the items you selected appear in Zotero?

Thanks

@Simon, Dan, etc. Any quick thoughts about what could be failing _after_ the item is already added to Zotero?
  • I am having a similar problem as jgartner. but the link to download provided by aurimas with the potential solution is not longer working. any help would be gladly appreciated...
  • See if you can find a way to download articles in XML format. When looking at the individual article page, I can see buttons for printing, saving, emailing, downloading PDF, and downloading RTF. Zotero needs to be able to download articles in XML format (which I am not able to do). If you can't, then it will be very difficult to make Factiva work with Zotero.

When trying to access the XML download, I am getting:
    Error:You are not entitled to download content in XML format.
  • edited October 20, 2012
    According to this tweet (translation), apparently Factiva no longer lets students use XML export.