Zotero 3 Left and Middle Panes in FireFox

Firefox automatically, unexpectedly installed Zotero 3 today. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

If a user uses the Zotero 3 updates on a document can 2.1 still be used with the document?

Something I noticed immediately is that to scroll to the bottom of the left or middle panes Zotero 3 must take up at least the lower 1/3rd of Firefox. If I drag the top of Zotero lower I start to lose the bottom of the left and middle panes including the bottom of the scroll bars.

This is a new behavior. Could the old behavior be restored?

Also, when adding an item "web page" does not appear on the dropdown list. It appears on the Item Type dropdown, however.

Thanks!
  • Firefox automatically, unexpectedly installed Zotero 3 today. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
    Firefox updates add-ons automatically now. You can configure that in the Advanced pane of the Firefox preferences.
    If a user uses the Zotero 3 updates on a document can 2.1 still be used with the document?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/3.0#word_processor_plugins_for_zotero_for_firefox
    Something I noticed immediately is that to scroll to the bottom of the left or middle panes Zotero 3 must take up at least the lower 1/3rd of Firefox. If I drag the top of Zotero lower I start to lose the bottom of the left and middle panes including the bottom of the scroll bars.
    Not totally sure what you mean here—it might help to take a screenshot, post it somewhere (e.g., imageshack.us), and provide a link—but try shrinking the size of the tag selector in the bottom left if you have that visible.
    Also, when adding an item "web page" does not appear on the dropdown list. It appears on the Item Type dropdown, however.
    It never has, by design—that's what Create New Item from Current Page is for. There are a number of threads explaining the reasoning behind this.
  • Here's a jpeg on our server:
    http://www.mdm-inc.com/scrollbars_gone.jpg

Note the scroll bars.
  • I have Firefox 9.0.1 configured to automatically check for updates to add-ons.

It's also configured to "Ask me what I want to do". It didn't ask. Just installed the update.

Guess that's more of a Firefox issue than a Zotero issue.
  • It's possible the dialog in 9.0.1 hadn't caught up with the new behavior. The options there have been reworked in Firefox 10.

But yes, not a Zotero issue.

Re: the screenshot, that doesn't really demonstrate the problem. Can you provide a screenshot for it scrolled to the bottom as far as possible at that height, and also for the pane height at which the bottoms of the scrollbars aren't cut off?
  • edited February 2, 2012
    I can't provide additional screenshots without revealing proprietary work.

As you can see in this screenshot, the bottom of the scrollbar is truncated. If the height of Zotero is shortened with the slider near the bottom, it also disappears. You can still use your mouse wheel to scroll, but in a large library that is very slow.
    There's a problem with the right pane, too.

http://www.mdm-inc.com/zoterorightpane.jpg

This is scrolled as low as it will go. You can't see what's lower in the pane without making Zotero taller.

Windows 7, FireFox 9.0.1
  • This looks like a bug on Windows. On OS X the minimum height before this happens is around 215px. On Windows it seems to be around 330px.

We'll look into it.
    Is there a way to make abstracts display the way they used to?

Here's an item with a large abstract. The focus is not on the abstract field. It is very large.

http://www.mdm-inc.com/abstract_without_focus.jpg

Here's the same item, but the focus IS on the abstract field. The field gets smaller when it receives focus. I would think you would want the opposite.

http://www.mdm-inc.com/abstract_with_focus.jpg

Windows 7, FireFox 9.0.1
  • Also, when the right pane is smaller than the minimum height the pane does not scroll as you tab through the fields. You can tab into fields below the ones you see.
    Is there a way to make abstracts display the way they used to?
    There's nothing new about that behavior—2.1.10 did the same thing, and I think all earlier versions have as well. The alternative would be to have an inline scroll bar in the middle of the pane, which would be ugly. You can collapse the abstract field when you're not using it by clicking on the "Abstract" label.
    Please recheck. It appears that the behavior has changed.

Sorry. I was wrong. It's the same.
  • I'm having exactly the same problems with the scrolling arrows, since Zotero updated itself (I guess) a couple of days ago. I'm happy to email screenshots if that would be helpful. Basically, the down scrolling arrows only show up when Zotero's taking up over half the vertical space of my browser window, on my laptop screen. (And pair that with Google Books' terrible screen layout, and it's virtually impossible to use the two simultaneously.) I'm using Windows 7, FF 9.0.1.
  • OK, I believe the minimum height issue is now fixed for 3.0.2. Feel free to test in the 3.0 Branch dev XPI. You should revert back to 3.0.1 afterward or when 3.0.2 comes out.
  • Thanks for the fix. Much better now!
  • I'm lately having the same issue, except that I'm using Mac OS X. Specifically, everything's fine if the Zotero pane in the bottom of the Firefox window is tall enough, but if you shorten it to the point that a scrollbar appears in the right pane, then it cuts off some of the bottom for all three panes, as shown in the first two images rwielage posted. I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.5, Firefox 15.0.1, and Zotero 3.0.8.