zotfile: "and" in between paper with 2 authors

Hi there:

I find zotfile very useful for one main reason: When I save a pdf to zotero, zotero automatically renames the pdf, but I still have to do an extra click to change the label in the zotero list view to get sensible pdf attachment labels. Zotfile automates this step for me by relabeling the pdf for me.

However, the labeling is a little different from zotero's labeling. Zotero adds an "and" between papers authored by 2 people. Zotfile on the other hand adds an "_" between the 2 authors. Is there a way to get zotfile to use the "and" between two authors?

Thanks for your help!

Zotero Standalone 3.0.8
Windows 7 x64
Chrome plugin
  • Zotfile's renaming is very flexible, see here for documentation;
    http://www.columbia.edu/~jpl2136/zotfile.html#renaming
  • Thanks Adam:
    The renaming options are indeed very flexible. I don't see the option "and" in this list though. Perhaps I'm missing something... anyways, just wanted to check if the "and" between two authors is possible so that it's consistent with zotero's renaming feature. Great tool anyways!

Steve
  • oh right, yeah, you can't specify the "and" then.
    If you check the "use Zotero" to rename option it doesn't change the label?
  • If I check the "use Zotero" option, it does not change the label automatically, meaning I have to use the manual procedure again.
  • To get an "_and_" between the names of two authors, change the "Delimiter between multiple authors" to "_and_" (you get the idea).
  • Thanks bothide!

I totally overlooked this option! I think because the "Delimiter between multiple authors" sort of is hard to recognize or misinterpreted as heading for what comes below ... But perhaps it's just me. Thanks much!
  • edited December 27, 2012
    My pleasure,

Bo

PS. You can get an idea of the inner workings of Zotfile in this area by redirecting your web browser to "about:config" and then look at the specification of "extensions.zotfile.authors_delimiter". You will find that it is a string (no info on the length of the string though). Defining this string as " and " or "_and_" or "-and-" or... seems to work fine.
  • I totally overlooked this option!
    It did not exist before (was added in November).
    I think because the "Delimiter between multiple authors" sort of is hard to recognize or misinterpreted as heading for what comes below ...
    What would you suggest?
  • May I suggest that the word "Delimiter" be replaced by "String to be put"?