Edit Citation: Citation not displayed in editor window

Zotero 1.05, OOo 2.3.1., OOo-Extension 1.0b3, Firefox 2.0.0.14
[I searched the forum and couldn't find this problem, altough it's hard to believe nobody noticed, but here it is:]

I am using Open Office with the Zotero-extension: When I set the cursor on a citation and click the "EDIT CITATION" button in the Zotero-toolbar it would be useful if this citation would be displayed in the editor window. I then could easily use the PRE-/SUFFIX fields or "SHOW EDITOR" to make my corrections (if I remember right, this was the case in previous versions).

In the current version the editor window opens blank - so I have to search for the citation entry I want to edit in the database (keeping in mind which entry it was and which page I should use in the citation) and after selecting it I can use the editor. This is a long winded way, it would be better if the citation entry I want to edit would be preselected in the editor window.
  • Does this happen in a new document if you have My Library selected in Zotero?
    It took me a bit of mucking about to duplicate this as normally the citation is selected when I try to edit it. What I think is happening is that you are moving between collections in Zotero. If the collection you have selected when you try to edit the citation doesn't contain the citation from the previous collection, then it can't display it.
    Regards, Jon
  • I'm having the same problem as Morris, I have just tried it on a new document and it was the same. In all cases I used the main library and never changed to another one.
  • Gitty, what version of Firefox and OpenOffice are you using?
    I'm using Firefox RC2 and OO 2.4.1 so that might be the reason I don't have Morris's problem but its the same 1.0b3 OO extension and Zotero 1.05. Have to wait for some advice from the developers I'm afraid.
  • This is likely a Firefox 2/Windows–only problem. Can one of you install the development XPI over your current 1.0.5 and verify that it's fixed?

You can switch back to 1.0.5 afterwards. We'll be releasing 1.0.6 shortly with this fix.
  • edited June 12, 2008
    I installed the development XPI and it worked fine! The selected entry showed up in the editor window. Bug fixed.

P.S.: After installing the XPI version and testing I went back to Firefox-AddOns and tried to update (= to get back to the 1.05 version) but the updater says I already have the actual version. So I now just stay with 1.05.r2652 and hope it'll be fine.
  • After installing the XPI version and testing I went back to Firefox-AddOns and tried to update (= to get back to the 1.05 version) but the updater says I already have the actual version
    You can reinstall 1.0.5 from the front page of zotero.org (or wait for 1.0.6 and do the same).
  • ah, that's the way, thanks!
  • I have the same problem since I updated to 1.05. Before when I edited a citation it displayed the citation and I only had to change the detail necessary. No the fields are blank and I have to reselect to source and page number, even when I just want to suppress the author. Strange, but I feel it has something to do with 1.05. Hopefully this will be fixed in 1.06. It is not a major issue, but it is a bit frustrating.
  • Strange, but I feel it has something to do with 1.05.
    It does.
    Hopefully this will be fixed in 1.06.
    As I said above, it's already fixed in the latest dev build. 1.0.6, which will include the fix, should be out in the next day or two.
  • edited June 16, 2008
    I tried the XPI version and it fixed the problem (as far as I can tell). Sorry I did not try this before posting. Thanks for your reply. This is a great program.
  • 1.0.6 is now out with this fix. If you were using the dev XPI, you can just install 1.0.6 from the front page of zotero.org over the dev XPI.