Style Error: American Medical Association (annonymous author)

Some more recent update to the AMA style and the JAMA style made a change in the author field. The latest updates insert "anon." in the author field for reports and documents that have no author.

I use this style for my own publication QuarterWatch (and submit to JAMA) so I would much appreciate a fix or a work around.
  • The style should have always done that - for all item types - the style hasn't changed in that respect for at least a year (though csl has, so it's at least possible that something is working differently).
    Are you sure that's incorrect? Style guide examples?
  • Here is a link to a brief style guide.
    http://www4.samford.edu/schools/pharmacy/dic/amaquickref07.pdf

See item for "no author." I publish quite a few medical papers and I have never seen anon before. Also I cite a lot of official reports without named authors.

It looked like a project to edit the xml CSL file (which I have not done before).
    I know the rudiments of working with xml.
  • just remove
    <text macro="anon"/>

from
    <substitute>
    <names variable="editor"/>
    <text macro="anon"/>
    </substitute>

see here for general instructions:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

I'll fix this globally asap - no idea how that stuck in there so long.
  • Hi all,

I don't know if this was supposed to be fixed, but I am still getting 'Anon.' when citing web pages using AMA...
  • it wasn't, but it's now.
    The style is up now. It will show up on the repository at www.zotero.org/styles within 30mins.
    Any problems let us know.
  • Thank you Adam!

I was actually going to ask a follow-up: I am trying to remove the 'anon' completely (I think the guide above suggested changing from 'Anon' to 'No Author'.

I tried to follow the removal instructions above, but even following the link provided I was having trouble. I can open the style in the CSL editor, and I can delete the line... however for the life of me I can't find where to save the change. I tried opening it in an external editor, but even after saving it the 'anon' came back =(

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks for everything!

Sincerely,

Jay
  • the "anon" is now completely deleted from the style. When an item doesn't have an author it begins with the title as specified in the guide linked to above.
    I can walk you through how to save a style if you're interested (though the easiest might just be using http://steveridout.com/csl/visualEditor/ which will save the style correctly automatically), but see first whether this works for you and if you're still interested then ;-).
  • Hey,

Okay cool, so it is exactly what I wanted then =)

Okay, so I downloaded / installed the updated one. Then I deleted the old version. I went into Word, hit 'refresh', and expected it to pop up a dialog saying 'style not found, select new one' (or some eloquent variation thereof. sadly, it did nothing and the anon bits are style there.

Did i break the intertron? =)

How do I inform word that I would like to use a new citation style? (sorry for this, btw - i know this isn't supposed to be a troubleshooting post.)

Cheers

Jay
  • change to a different style and back.
    There is no need to delete the old style, though, I'm not even sure what you mean by that - installing the new style would overwrite the old one.
  • Hey,

hmm, odd - it didn't overwrite it, but just added another one with the same name =/

I'll try again when i get to work - it was the 'changing to a new style and back' that I wasn't able to do for some reason - where do i do that?

Thanks,

Jay
  • Fixed the issue!

This is great - thanks!