zotero standalone- dead link to install re-extension

Hi,

My Zotero standalone (3.0.8, mac OS, leopard) updated itself today, and once it did, I couldn't connect to my Openoffice document (error- extension not installed). When I tried to click the "install extension" button, nothing happened. The button seemed to be a dead link, and my Zotero and open office kept having issues with connecting with each other.

The Word extension works fine though. However, I cannot edit my document on Word since the original document was created in Openoffice, and citations were not stored in the appropriate Word format.

I then tried to install Libreoffice, and I could get the option to install the extension. However when I tried to do so, I got an error message saying Java implementation has failed.

Is there any way to get around this lack of connectivity between Zotero and Openoffice/Libreoffice? Or is there any way to access my citations and bibliography in the Word document created out of the Openoffice file?

Thanks,

Bharat.
  • Java does not appear to work in LibreOffice 3.6 on OS X 10.5. This is probably a bug in LibreOffice 3.6. You can either upgrade to OS X 10.6 or later (recommended, since the next major Zotero release will no longer support OS X 10.5), or install LibreOffice 3.5.5.
  • Thanks for your response. I guess the same thing applies for OpenOffice too?
  • This also happened in Arch Linux, LibreOffice 3.6 and Zotero 3.0.8 extension does not work.
  • I believe this should be working on linux - what error are you getting exactly?
  • edited September 5, 2012
    When I want to enable it, there is a dialog:

JNI exception occurred

Then again, another dialog:

(com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException) { { Message = "JNI exception occurred", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @-501f4b04 (ImplementationName = "com.sun.star.comp.stoc.JavaVirtualMachine") } }

This is possibly caused by Java problem with LibreOffice 3.6
  • I'm having the same problem here, on Ubuntu Quantal. Has anyone found a workaround? libreoffice-java-common is installed on my machine, so the fix suggested at http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#could_create_implementation_loader_or_clicking_toolbar_buttons_does_not_have_an_effect_libreoffice
    does not fix the issue for me.
  • I am using Arch Linux. The final solution is using jre7-openjdk. And I also update the SWT to version 4.2.
  • allen, can you expand on that just a little bit? I'm having a heck of a time with this -- libreoffice doesn't seem to want to accept the jre locations I enter (on Ubuntu I *think* this is /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre in this case, though I've also tried various gcj and java 6 paths too). Also I'm not quite sure what bits of swt need to be upgraded to 4.2 -- I know very little about java , and by default libswt* seems to be 3.8 or something on ubuntu.

Thanks for the help!
  • I think you need to ask from Ubuntu forums. This is distro difference. In Ubuntu, swt should be swt-gtk.
  • Hi

Don't know if this helps. I had a similar issue when upgrading from ubuntu precise to quantal and solved it by going to the options panel in libreoffice and indicate which jre to use (in fact the information seems to have been lost during upgrade).

HTH

Tito
  • Want to say that I had this same issue and the advice from ltdm did the trick on Ubuntu 12.10. i installed Java 7 and swt -gtk. That did nothing (initially). Then I went into options and clicked on the java 7 path and that seems to have everything working again...

bg
  • I am Ubuntu 12.10 user and I was having the same problem. I just updated to Java 7 and selected the updated Java environment in the LibreOffice options and voila! Hope this can help you.