Chicago Manual of Style (note) citation changed and incorrect

Has anyone else noticed that the Chicago Manual of Style (note) citation format has been changed on Zotero and is now incorrect? Previously, when I would select this format, the entry would appear as follows, which is correct:
Judith Butler, “Melancholy Gender / Refused Identification,” in The Psychic Life of Power: Theories in Subjection (Stanford, Calif: Stanford University Press, 1997), 132-150.

It now appears this way, which is incorrect:
Butler, Judith. “Melancholy Gender / Refused Identification.” In The Psychic Life of Power: Theories in Subjection, 132–150. Stanford, Calif: Stanford University Press, 1997.

What is going on? Is there any way to get the correct citation format again? When will this be fixed?
  • edited April 1, 2012
    Both of these are correct formats for CMoS - one is the correct bibliography entry, the other one the correct in-text citation as it would appear in a footnote.
    The behavior changed to default to the bibliography entry in line with the behavior for other citation styles.

To get the citation, either drag while holding the shift key, or use the shortcut specified for "Copy Selected Item Citation to Clipboard" in the Shortcut tab of your Zotero preferences. It will be along the lines of Ctrl+Alt+A but will vary depending on your operating system.
    Future versions of Zotero will also include an option to create the citation display using right-click--> Create Bibliography.

Btw. it looks like you want to use the Full Note, not the "Note" style of CMoS.
  • Adamsmith, thanks for your reply, but I don't think it addresses the concerns I have, which are the same as Kadji's original question.

Although we know that CMoS allows for two systems for citation (an author-date Bibliography style and a Footnote/Endnote style), we still do not have Zotero access to the latter style. My current publisher requires Endnotes after each chapter instead of the Bibliography format.

In Zotero, there are currently 3 options for Chicago Manual of Style: "author-date," "full note," and "note." All three of them put the author's last name first, which is incorrect for a "Note."

None of these 3 currently format the Note according to CMoS, as shown below.

Can we please have the Note format fixed in Zotero so that either the Note or the Full Note do it properly, and the Author-Date gives the bibliography entry default style?

Here are the details:

According to the 16th edition (most recent edition) of the manual, section 14.15 "Basic structure of a note," "A footnote or an endnote generally lists the author, title, and facts of publication, in that order. Elements are separated by commas; the facts of publication are enclosed in parentheses. Authors’ names are presented in standard order (first name first). Titles are capitalized headline-style (see 8.157), unless they are in a foreign language (see 11.3). Titles of larger works (e.g., books and journals) are italicized; titles of smaller works (e.g., chapters, articles) or unpublished works are presented in roman and enclosed in quotation marks (see 8.161). Such terms as editor/edited by, translator/translated by, volume, and edition are abbreviated."

Here is one of their examples of the Note format, from 14.128:

1. Gershon David Hundert, The Jews in a Polish Private Town: The Case of Opatów in the Eighteenth Century, Johns Hopkins Jewish Studies (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1992)."

(The book title is in italics.)

In contrast, here is how Zotero formats one of my citations as a "Note" or "Full Note" (there is no visible difference between Note and Full Note):

Gafney, Leo, and Pratibha Varma-Nelson, Eds. Peer-Led Team Learning: Evaluation, Dissemination, and Institutionalization of a College Level Initiative. Vol. 16. Innovations in Science Education and Technology. Springer, 2008.

(The book title is in italics.)

As you can see, in the Zotero CMoS Note style, the first editor's name is in the wrong order for a note, the punctuation is incorrect, etc.
  • edited July 11, 2012
    Update: I looked further into the full list of CMoS styles available to Install, at http://www.zotero.org/styles.

The Zotero style that appeared to be close to the correct CMoS Note format was called "Chicago Manual of Style (quick copy)" (version edited 2012-05-19 00:46:07). This seemed to put items in the right order and included my item's URL. It's only a minor issue that it did NOT number the item 1. 2. etc. as in a list.

Another Zotero style that seems to use CMoS Note format is called "History and Theory." It gives you the entry WITH the note number in front; However it did NOT include my "Report" item's URL.
  • Tania,

It looks like the Chicago styles are doing the right thing. In notes, names should be presented in their natural order, and in a note, they are. In the bibliography, the first-listed author should be in sort order (so last name first), and it is.
  • Please reread my post. Both the fullnote and the note style are able to produce both the note and the bibliography format. There is nothing to fix.

I provide instructions above on how to export the note (what I call "citation") format - i.e. using author names in natural order, commas between elements etc. - from Zotero. E.g. I just shift dragged this from Zotero:

Jon Elster, Explaining Social Behavior: More Nuts and Bolts for the Social Sciences, 1st ed. (Cambridge University Press, 2007).

Alternatively, if you use the Word/LO plugin and use Zotero to insert a citation it will insert it in note format.
  • PS: With Ctl-Alt-A as suggested by adamsmith, I get this (using Chicago Fullnote):
    Frank G. Bennett Jr., “Getting Property Right: ‘Informal’ Mortgages in the Japanese Courts,” Pac. Rim L. & Pol’y J. 18 (2009): 463–509.
  • Fbennet, thanks for your input. I'm not sure why you're able to get the right name order for Notes and I was not able to (prior to downloading the CMoS "quick copy" format from http://www.zotero.org/styles). None of the other 3 CMoS styles that I previously had in my list gave me the names in the "natural order," and didn't do other things right either. Maybe the versions I had did not update themselves automatically? (even though my Zotero plugin is up to date)
  • But really, if you want to use endnotes, you really want to work with the Word processor plugin, which is the only way to get correct Chicago output including shortened subsequent notes and ibid.
  • edited July 11, 2012
    How are you generating these item? You'll get the note format with the respective Chicago style selected under quick copy (edit: In the Zotero preferences under Export) and using shift+drag or ctrl+alt+a.

Edit: small correction via Dan below.
  • edited July 11, 2012
    Maybe the versions I had did not update themselves automatically?
    It doesn't hurt to reinstall distributed styles from the repository, since they don't update automatically. But it looks like you've just been getting the bibliography form, rather than the note form -- the note form differs between Chicago Note and Chicago Fullnote, and the fact that you have been getting the same thing with both suggests that you need to press different keys.
  • edited July 11, 2012
    (Shift-drag, not drag-shift. The order matters, for unfortunate technical reasons.)
  • edited July 11, 2012
    Okay, thanks Adamsmith and Fbennett. I obviously missed something in your instructions, and perhaps I don't yet understand all the functions available in Zotero, if the proper Note style is available as an alternate within the Note style. Previously I have been right-clicking the entry and selecting "Create Bibliography from Selected Item" and then choosing from the Zotero styles to get the entry into the desired citation style.

However, I'm trying your instructions and It's still not working that way with "Chicago Manual of Style (note)" and "...(full note)" styles as default. I tried selecting one of my entries and clicking Ctrl+Alt+A and it gave me (Capstick, Fleming, & Hurne, 2004) rather than the Note itself. Same thing happens when I shift-drag it to a Word document. I use Windows 7 operating system.

Nevertheless, I can now get what I want by right-clicking the item, selecting "Create Bibliography from Selected Item," and selecting my newly-installed "Chicago Manual of Style (quick copy)" style.
  • I tried to reinstall the "(full note)" version and Zotero DID ask me if I wanted to "update" my version, so obviously the versions I had were out of date. Good to know!!

However, the updated style for "full note" still gives me author names in the Bibliography style (last names first), and using Ctrl+Alt+A (and shift+drag) still gives me the author-date system's in-text citation (Capstick, Fleming, & Hurne, 2004) rather than the Note style.
  • if you're getting (Capstick, Fleming, & Hurne, 2004) you're on the right track. Double check the default output style - you almost certainly don't have one of the Chicago note styles selected - that citation is from some author date style - likely American Psychological Association.

I don't recommend using the Chicago quick copy style. It hasn't been maintained or updated for a long time and is likely incorrect for some details. It's also a candidate for deletion because it's redundant and a pest to maintain.
  • edited July 11, 2012
    It doesn't hurt to reinstall distributed styles from the repository, since they don't update automatically.
    This is true generally, but the default styles do update automatically on Zotero upgrade, so there shouldn't be any need to redownload the built-in Chicago styles. That "update" message doesn't mean the style was out of date.
  • Thank you Adamsmith. I just read your post from 17 mins ago.

I now understand I couldn't merely "set as default" my previous selected style.

Indeed I had to go into my Zotero settings - Preferences - Export - and then under Default Output Format select "Chicago Manual of Style (full note)." Duh. It was previously set up for APA.

I did Ctrl+Alt+A, with the updated style installed, and IT WORKED!!

Here's what it now gives me for an online Report:

Stuart Capstick, Hugh Fleming, and Janice Hurne, Implementing Peer Assisted Learning in Higher Education: The Experience of a New University and a Model for the Achievement of a Mainstream Programme (Bournemouth, UK: Bournemouth University Academic Support - Peer Assisted Learning, 2004), http://pal.bournemouth.ac.uk/documents/implmntng%20pal%20article61.pdf.

(title in italics)

Thank you so much for your clarifications. I hope the thread will also be helpful for others who might not understand how to use the (rather hidden in my opinion) alternative style embedded within a default style.
  • I agree it's a bit hidden. There is an open ticket (i.e. a planned feature) to add this as an option to the right-click menu you were using before.
    And again the recommendation to use the word plugin if you're writing papers with Chicago style.
  • Yes perhaps Quick Copy style should be deleted. It's clear from this discussion that it's confusing for people.
  • Returning to this discussion months later as I polish the footnotes on my next publication... Control-Alt-A worked immediately for me in getting the Chicago footnote/endnote rather than full bibliography style - thanks adamsmith for your instructions.
  • FWIW I also just updated the quick copy style on the repository, so that's now fine to use, too:
    It produces full notes instead of a bibliography and short notes instead of a citation. In other words using "Create Bibliography," Quick Copy w/o modifier key or Ctrl+Alt+C you get full notes, using quick copy + shift or Ctrl+alt+A you get short notes.