What "data view" with MS Word?

Zotero is turning out to be a great tool for me -- I'm particularly excited about using it to organize my reading notes. One problem, though: when I export my bibliography + notes in Zotero RDF format and open it with MS Word, only the notes are showing up correctly. Otherwise, you can see pink boxes that say "book", "author", etc., but without any of the bibliographic information I had entered. Word also gives me a message asking me to choose the data view (XSLT) to apply. What should I do?

Thank you,
Kartina Amin
  • RDF isn't necessarily meant to be imported into Word. It is the "Resource Description Framework" & is contrasted by MS's RTF (Rich Text Format), which might be causing your confusion.

If you'd like to work with your bibliography + notes in word, it might be easiest to "Generate Report from Selected Items." This can be saved as HTML, which Word can import.
  • Thanks, I wasn't aware of the "generate report" feature. Ideally, I would like to generate a report from a whole collection, but for some reason, nothing happens when I click on "Generate Report from Collection". Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to get around it (again, my objective is to get my collection [notes + bibliography] into word), without having to generate a report from each item individually?

Thanks again,
    Kartina
  • Report generation from collection is broken in beta 3, but will be fixed in the next release. A work around for those not yet using a version that has been fixed is to select all records in a collection (Ctrl-A in the middle pane) & to export the selection.
  • Thanks noksagt, this worked for me! That said, I started a forum in the Features section -- I'd love to see the notes feature integrated with Word, so you could generate a bibliography in your preferred citation style with notes.