Zotero slow to perform updates

Following on from http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11301?page=1#Item_10

I have reduced the indexing to only 1000 characters, but changing a minor detail still takes around 5 seconds.

Perhaps I need to make some alteration outside FF or zotero, but I would like to know what to do to speed up these processes.

Thanks in anticipation,
Charlie

Debug report is D286128781
  • What collection are you in for this output? The library root, a collection, a saved search?
  • That last one was in My Library root.

This report D220705890 (and the one I submitted just prior to that) were carried out from within a collection.

The time taken to repond seemed similar in both cases.
  • I have found that turning off Word speeds up the updating.

Perhaps this suggests that the hold up is from the Word addin talking to firefox.

It is not ideal to have to turn off Word as I want to iteratively make changes to my library in order to get my references looking correct. Right now I think I will print out the references, turn off word and then make all the updates at once and then check them.

Do the log reports suggest that the word add-in is part of the hold up?

Thanks,
    Charlie
  • I have found that turning off Word speeds up the updating.
    Are you sure about that? Can you reproduce this after a computer restart? That is, if you restart your computer, start Zotero, and perform the operation, it's faster, and if you then start Word (and do what?), it's slower, and then if you close Word it becomes faster again? I kind of doubt that's the case, but that would certainly be interesting information.

If so, though, can you provide a Debug ID for the same operation from when Word is closed?
  • I am now finding that zotero is working much quicker, even when word is back on. Your doubt was well placed.

I'm confident though that turning off word was one of the few things that I did before zotero sped up. Perhaps there was some unrequited open request between word and zotero slwing things down that got closed down. Is that conceivable? I don't know how word and zotero communicate.

On the other hand, it may have been something else and Word could be a red herring. If Zotero slows down again (which it does from time to time), I will log a report before and after I close Word to see if this is related.

Hope this helps. It was pretty unfeasably slow earlier, but now it's working great.
  • Yes, please let us know if you can reproduce.
  • edited June 25, 2012
    I have found again that turning off Word immediately sped up the time it took to update document information in zotero. I use the bibliography add-in for Word which I imagine must reference the zotero database.

After doing this, I made a log at 227211479

I also find that zotero hangs FF for 20 seconds or so whenever I add a pdf attachment to a document record. Is it possible for the attachment to be added in the background whilst FF and zotero can still be used? I imagine that the standalone zotero might do this better. I also had this problem just before I made the log file referenced above. Does that show what I mean?

Thanks,
    Charlie
  • edited June 25, 2012
    Performance-related reports require Debug IDs, not Report IDs.
    I have found again that turning off Word immediately sped up the time it took to update document information in zotero.
    You're saying that closing Word had an effect on the performance of Zotero itself?
    I also find that zotero hangs FF for 20 seconds or so whenever I add a pdf attachment to a document record.
    This could be due to full-text indexing, though it really shouldn't take that long unless it's a very large PDF or a very slow computer.
    Is it possible for the attachment to be added in the background whilst FF and zotero can still be used?
    This is planned for a future version.
  • I have a similar problem, without Word or Libreoffice running. Adding a reference 'by hand' is a painstaking effort with 10s of seconds waiting time while transitioning between every single field! Is there anything I can do to help debug this or get around this problem?