Article import from GVK (GBV Union Catalogue) not working

I get an error message from Zotero when trying to import article metadata from GVK like this one: http://gso.gbv.de/xslt/DB=2.1/PPNSET?PPN=604634919

Thanks for any help!

My Browser Environment: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5

My Zotero: 1.0.10
  • you should report an error ID from the gears (Zahnrad) menu, too.
    For what it's worth, I don't get an error, but just an empty box and no imported item.
    The translator used is COinS (which means that the problem is probably on the GBV side of things.).
  • Wow, that was a quick answer!

I get an error box saying "Artikel konnte nicht gespeichert werden..." (Roughly "Article could not be saved ...")

Message from the gears menu is: "[JavaScript Error: "undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js" line: 896}]"

Maybe it's GBV's mistake, I'll have a look at the COinS code.
  • edited March 24, 2010
    Hello,

I have also a problem with the gbv import. I don't get an error but the author name is not imported. Example:
    http://gso.gbv.de/DB=2.1/SET=1/TTL=1/COLMODE=1/CMD?ACT=SRCHA&IKT=1016&SRT=YOP&TRM=gli+occhi+del+granduca
    Idon't know if this is a problem on the gbv/gvk side or on zotero.
    olaf

P.D.:
    I reported the error as well to the gbv-gvk team
  • Hello Olaf, your example works for me without any problems. The author's name (Edigati, Daniele) gets imported via COinS. I use Zotero 2.0.2 with Firefox 3.5.

Btw., the problem I mentioned before is GBV's mistake. I resolved that by looking into the COinS code. A workaround: Save metadata from GBV-GVK in the EndNote or RIS format and import that text file into Zotero.

Cheers,
    Lambert
  • edited March 24, 2010
    Hi Lambert,

this is an interesting case. Now it works also fine with me. First I thought, well my mail to the GBV-GVK folks made them change the COinS implementation. But now I found out a different problem:
    First I came to the GBV-GVK site via the KVK (Karlsruhe Virtual Katalog). When I retry this I still have the problem I reported. Strange isnt it? the Link via KVK is:
    http://gso.gbv.de/DB=2.1/XMLPRS=NO/CHARSET=UTF-8/IMPLAND=Y/LNG=DU/SRT=YOP/TTL=1/COOKIE=U8164,K8164,D2.1,E72245a2f-7b,I222,B0090++++++,SY,A%5C9008+J,,1,,U,,4,,7,,M,H6-11,,16-17,,19-21,,30,,73,,76-77,,88-90,NUNI+KARLSRUHE,R129.13.130.211,FN/SET=1/SHW?FRST=1
    So is the problem on the kvk side?! Any ideas?
    Thanks Olaf

PD:
    Things getting more and more strange to me. Now I retried it with the first (direkt) link to GBV. Gues what - it did not work anymore. Although I did not change anything in between unless to click myself via KVK to the GBV site.
    I work with Zotero 2.0.2 and Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP
  • The above mentioned problem was the result of a false linking from KVK to GBV site. I reported the case at GBV and they forwarded it to KVK. Recently I got the message that the problem is solved. My test today was positiv. There seems no more problem with COinS import from GBV entered via KVK.
    All the best
    olaf
  • That's fine - but GBV still didn't fix the COinS problem mentioned at the very beginning of this thread.
  • Hi
    while, in the meantime, importing of most entries of the GVK works, Zotero still fails to recognise more than one author and, also, editors as editors (not: authors).
    Work around entries that Zotero does not recognise by clicking on the Worldcat button, if available.
    I would love to have the first issue fixed though as for most people working in Northern Germany, GVK is the source to look up your books in.
  • those limitations are COinS limitations. I'd be willing to look into writing a GVK translator if there is a way to get to structured metadata - MODS, MARC, MABI, RIS, bibtex - from an item display. I couldn't see something quickly, but may well be worth inquiring at GVK directly (someone else would have to do that).
  • Tja, ich kann da mal ne EMail hinschreiben, aber ich kenne mich überhaupt nicht aus. Z.B. weiß ich nicht genau was COinS ist, außer das was bei Wikipedia steht...
  • COinS ist das Format in dem GVK die Info in die Seite anbietet. Es ist sehr praktisch, aber eben auch sehr limitiert für Metadaten (ursprünglich ist es als Teil von OpenURL entwickelt, so dass man die Bücher mit den Angaben finden kann).

Du kannst einfach meinen Post open in die e-mail kopieren, zusammen mit einem Link. Es ist durchaus möglich, dass GVK z.B. schon den Zugang auf MARC Daten ermöglicht.